help keep losing images

firstry

Has anybody had a problem with photo’s being erased from the memory card for no reason, I have managed to retrieve some images but I don’t know why this happens (3 times now). I’m using a 32 GB pny professional card

Dave_W

The Dude
Do you always reformat your card after you download your images to your computer? If you don't do in-camera formating after each download some very strange things can happen.

Philnz

Do you always reformat your card after you download your images to your computer? If you don't do in-camera formating after each download some very strange things can happen.
I have never never reformated a card after the first time and have never had a problem. But do make sure that you turn the camera off before removing the card also remove it from the computer in safe mode.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
+1 to Mojo's and Phil's comments. Always format in camera. If you format two times in a row on Nikon's, it does a low-level format. Which body are you using?

Dave_W

The Dude
You should reformat your card in-camera each time you remove photos from it. Simply erasing the images after you download them will cause problems over time.

fotojack

Yup, all good advice from the above posters. And this is true for ANY brand memory card, not just PNY. Always reformat in-camera. Always turn off the camera before removing cards. Always turn off camera before inserting card. We don't make up this stuff.......it's just the way it works!

SteveH

I've never had an issue with my D3100, however I don't ever remove the card either. The card is left in the camera, and images transfered by cable to my PC. I reformat the card every couple of weeks and have never had a problem.

I'm now just waiting on my new 16Gb 45Mb/sec card to arrive from Amazon, so once that arrives I'll be putting it in the camera, formatting, and that will be the last daylight it sees until it is replaced!