Screen protector for D7000 - does anyone use them?

Dave_W

The Dude
I have several Nikon digital cameras and have never considered removing the plastic LCD cover, however, it might be nice to have it more usable with less glare than it currently has. Also, as was pointed out to me, on pg 17 of the Nikon D7000 users manual states that the plastic cover is only for storage and is meant to be removed when in use.
So my question is this - how many people with D7000 (or any Nikon camera) remove their BM-11 (or equivalent) and use screen protectors like this one (Amazon)? And out of curiosity, how many have never removed their cover for fear of breaking the monitor?

Phillydog1958

I've always kept mine (BM-11) on. I've never actually removed it. It's not out of fear of breaking the screen/monitor. I've just not found a reason to remove it. Maybe I eventually will, perhaps to clean the screen. I've not ever used any screen protectors.

Curt

I have three Nikons (D7000,D200, & D80) I have screens on them all, would not have a camera without one on it.

Dave_W

The Dude
I have three Nikons (D7000,D200, & D80) I have screens on them all, would not have a camera without one on it.

Just to be clear, when you say they all have screens on them you're referring to these screen covers that Amazon sells or something like that or are you referring to the BM-11 type screen covers?

evan

Banned
personally i would never remove the protector.a scratch from the metal zip or buttons on a coat or jacket will be instantly noticable and affects resale value if you trade up. the same reason i never use any lens without a protector either.

mr2_serious

The one you linked on amazon is the same one I have on my d7000. Its really clear and does its job. However it does stick out some so you will not be able to attach the plastic cover on for storage.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Dooku77

I always use my protector. My camera kind of hangs down near my belt buckle so I can sling it over one shoulder if need be so I wouldn't want it to get scratched or cracked from hitting my buckle.

stocks26

Took mine off the minute I got the camera. You don't see the Pros using them and who wants to start looking through a grubby and easily scratched cheap bit of plastic!

evan

Banned
stocks26, unless you want to end up doing damage to the actual camera screen, its odds-on that you will. get an after market glass protector. much better than the original one.

stocks26

I appreciate what you say and it's probably good practice but after over a year of ownership I've not so much as a scratch. I used to use a stick-on glass protector for my iPhone when I first got it, but I felt it interfered with my enjoyment of the device, so I removed it. I suspect the camera will wear out before the glass screen!

amonamarth

I've never taken it off my D7K, since the day I opened the box. Is there a reason to do so? The preview looks fine to me!

Alex.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

mjackson907

You MUST go to zagg.com and buy the invisishield for your camera! Just search for d7000 within their pages...they are like 20 bucks and THE BEST PRODUCT. LIFETIME WARRANTY!! I've been using their products for years, since before they became so widespread and I'm glad that they are so popular because every expensive gadget that I buy gets one.

I have one on mine and my wife's d7000 and, yes, we both have the BM-11 on top of it as well...but when you need the extra clarity, removing the BM-11 does not put the pretty screen in jeopardy.

PapaST

You MUST go to zagg.com and buy the invisishield for your camera! Just search for d7000 within their pages...they are like 20 bucks and THE BEST PRODUCT. LIFETIME WARRANTY!! I've been using their products for years, since before they became so widespread and I'm glad that they are so popular because every expensive gadget that I buy gets one.

I have one on mine and my wife's d7000 and, yes, we both have the BM-11 on top of it as well...but when you need the extra clarity, removing the BM-11 does not put the pretty screen in jeopardy.

^^^ what he said

I use Zagg or equivalent (bestskinsever) on all my devices. I didn't use it for the D7000 because it already had a protector. Until one day I took the protector off to clean and I noticed that dirt had gotten in between and actually scratched my display. It wasn't the end of the world but it did let me know that the BM-11 is good protection but not infallible. So I installed the Zagg protector and have the BM-11 on top of that. Another reason to get Zagg is because it has a protector for your top display too.

I started a thread about Zagg and BM-11 fitting on top. http://nikonites.com/d7000/4538-zagg-shield-stock-clear-plastic-cover.html

Keep in mind, the Zagg screen is applied differently than the static cling or "sticky" type protectors. It's a solution application that goes on "wet" but I consider it a more permanent and managable application.

My $.02

Claudia!

^^^ what he said

I use Zagg or equivalent (bestskinsever) on all my devices. I didn't use it for the D7000 because it already had a protector. Until one day I took the protector off to clean and I noticed that dirt had gotten in between and actually scratched my display. It wasn't the end of the world but it did let me know that the BM-11 is good protection but not infallible. So I installed the Zagg protector and have the BM-11 on top of that. Another reason to get Zagg is because it has a protector for your top display too.

I started a thread about Zagg and BM-11 fitting on top. http://nikonites.com/d7000/4538-zagg-shield-stock-clear-plastic-cover.html

Keep in mind, the Zagg screen is applied differently than the static cling or "sticky" type protectors. It's a solution application that goes on "wet" but I consider it a more permanent and managable application.

My $.02

Did you have to cut the screen protector to fit the screen or was it already shaped to the right size and frame? I recently bought a zagg shield a few weeks back. The shield was basically a big rectangle that you had to cut to the shape of your screen. It was like a universal screen protector for any DSLR or p&s. I had to measure and cut it to the shape of the screen on my own. It turned out to be horrible. I did not cut it right. As well, the bottom of the screen is curved rather than shaped like a straight rectangle. I am very curious to know if there is one that I can purchase without having to cut out the shape myself.

Dooku77

Did you have to cut the screen protector to fit the screen or was it already shaped to the right size and frame? I recently bought a zagg shield a few weeks back. The shield was basically a big rectangle that you had to cut to the shape of your screen. It was like a universal screen protector for any DSLR or p&s. I had to measure and cut it to the shape of the screen on my own. It turned out to be horrible. I did not cut it right. As well, the bottom of the screen is curved rather than shaped like a straight rectangle. I am very curious to know if there is one that I can purchase without having to cut out the shape myself.

This kit comes pre shaped specifically fr this camera. It comes with a large piece and a small piece for the top LCD screen. Nice kit for 14.99

PapaST

Yes, Claudia!... pretty much what Dooku77 said. When you goto the Zagg site, just search for the device you want to cover and it will show you a pre-cut kit.

Dooku77

They also have a lifetime warranty. If it ever gets a scratch or starts to peel, just peel it off and drop it in an envelope and they will send you a new one. You have to register your product online of course :)