Will faster glass help?

gav329

Hi I've been using my D200 a bit now since buying it just before Christmas. While I'm very much a beginner and could probably benefit from a photography course I'm a bit disappointed with a lot of my photos. I set the camera up with the guide jack kindly emailed me but I'm honestly wondering if the 18-70 f3.5-f5.6 is really doing me any favours? Please don't think I'm blaming my tools here coz I've got lots to learn myself too but comparing my D200 photos with some from my tiny point and shoot I'd have thought the dslr would blow it away?!!! I also don't think the dull rotten scottish weather helps either mind you since the photos are rarely bright. Would changing this lense be a good idea? Just now my photos have been my young son's sports day, bmx park and some general pictures (point and shoot style) ie I don't just do landscapes or just do portrait.

I'll try post a few and maybe someone could help. I've taken a few that I was pretty pleased with and they are straight out the camera too.

Is it possible to be a beginner with a D200 coz it overwhelms me quite honestly or should I persevere with it since it is a good body (I bought it as it was very keenly priced with 1390 clicks second hand).

Thanks folks

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The 18-70 is a great lens. I often think about buying another one as a walk-around lens. If you post a picture or two with EXIF info, maybe we can help.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Faster glass definitely helps lower your ISO level or can acquire light much better compared to the kit lens.

A 35mm f1.8G for example about four stops faster than the kit lens once you are zoomed in on the long end. That is huge especially if you are just working on available light.

A flash will make it even better. The D200 has an older technology sensor. Stay below ISO 400 and just compensate with the flash.

The other solution is if you use a tripod to lower the shutter speed. Combine these technique will brighten up your images a lot.

gav329

Eduard and Glenn thanks for replying. I'll post some images and if you've time that be great. I have posted some already just after getting the camera which I was quite pleased with and they were pre set up guide. Funnily enough Glenn the 35 1.8 is a lens I'm looking at buying for sure. Cheers guys.

Gav

gav329

Oh meant to say, yes I keep the ISO to 100,200 and not higher than 400 if I can. That's only through reading advice here rather than actually knowing what I'm doing!! Haha!! Thanks again for replying.

Gav

Dave_W

The Dude
I think you nailed the problem - ISO. You should consider using auto-ISO and set the minimum shutter speed at 1/200 or maybe 1/250 and see if this helps. I've heard many a professional photographer say they won't take a photo under ISO 150 or maybe 200 at tops, but that's just not realistic for most of us. I know I'd lose over 3/4's of my images if I lived by that credo. Don't worry so much about noise, noise can be dealt with, concern yourself on taking the sharpest photos you can achieve and then when you're happy with your technique, come back on the ISO issue. The suspect reason the point and shoot camera you mentioned takes such nice photos is because of the auto-ISO.
So my answer to your question is yes, faster glass will help you keep your desired low ISO, however, I would suggest perfecting your skills on existing equipment before you add an additional variable.

gav329

Helene thanks I'll have a look at decent post processing software. I only have Picassa which is free but ultimately limited. Thanks

gav329

Mojo-Fstop

Hi!! Thanks that sounds like very good advice, I'll try that then. Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk? You're right my point and shoot does use auto ISO though it can be changed manually. I'm sure when I first tried the camera out I probably kept it on auto ISO and then I've messed about with it rather than knowing exactly what effects it had adjusting it.

The shutter speed to ok I'll make sure that's minimum 1/200 and I'll try 1/250 also too. Blimey so much to think about!! Don't know how you folks manage it??!?! Thanks again.

gav329

My jpg and raw images exceed the size limit for the website posting. I'll put some in my gallery and if you like you can have a wee look.

thanks again

Gav

fotojack

My jpg and raw images exceed the size limit for the website posting. I'll put some in my gallery and if you like you can have a wee look.

thanks again

Gav

Gav...resize your pics before trying to upload them here. Use this program to do that if you wish. I've found it to be the best for this job.....plus it can do a lot of other good things, too. And being a Scot myself, you'll love this part: IT'S FREE!! :) lol

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

While I'm here, you got me wondering if you're using the P Mode (Program) correctly.

1. Select P Mode on outside top right of camera
2. In the menu, go to Shooting Menu (camera icon) and in Shooting Menu Bank, make your selection of either A B C or D
3. Next, go to Custom Menu Setting (pencil icon) and in Bank Select, choose the same selection you chose in Shooting Menu Bank. The two must match!

I had perhaps forgotten to mention this when I sent you the D200 shooting guide. Hope this helps, and let me know how it turns out for you.

ps: I lived in Glasgow when I was just a wee bairn! :)

gav329

Hi jack great to hear from you mate!! I remember you telling me last November in your welcome post your mum was from Glasgow, I didn't know you lived here for a bit too!! Lucky bugger escaping!!

Ahhh yes you could be right, you and mojo have very good points that sound like something I've maybe done incorrectly!! Wouldn't surprise me to be honest haha!!

Thanks for the resizing info too!!

Ok I'll give these tricks a go and let you all know if I'm getting better pics.

Thanks folks, always a pleasure to hear from you. : )

Gav

gav329

Jack after a very quick check on the camera, I had the two banks the same (sports action) but I was in aperature (A)mode rather than P for program, so maybe a mistake immediately!!

Cheers take care

Gav

Gav

jstachowski

Faster glass will always help, but VR helps as well. I was in the Museum of Science and Industry with my 18-200 VR, and hand holding at 1/6 second with good results. In terms of fast glass, I love my 17-55 F2.8 on a DX body, but that might be a bit expensive. You can pick up 50 F1.8 for $140 in most shops (and much cheaper used).

Hope this helps...
Jerry

Strikermax

3. Next, go to Custom Menu Setting (pencil icon) and in Bank Select, choose the same selection you chose in Shooting Menu Bank. The two must match!

Are you sure the two must match?
I'm using different setups on my D200 and it seems to work ok.
What's the use for two different kinds of presets if you can't use them separately?

Last edited:

emoxley

gav329..........
Even the pros uses software to make their pics look better. Here is some free software too, that I think is very good, especially being free. It's pretty strong, and fairly easy to use. I like the sharpen tool in it, better than the one in Photoshop CS5. You can brighten, add contrast when needed, clone out bad stuff, crop, etc.........
It's no Photoshop, but again, it's free, instead of $600-$700 like Photoshop. I use both programs on the same picture, a lot of times. Check it out.
FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter Good luck. :)

fotojack

Are you sure the two must match?
I'm using different setups on my D200 and it seems to work ok.
What's the use for two different kinds of presets if you can't use them separately?

Because each Bank uses one preset setup! In other words, if you're set at Program Mode, each Program Bank (eg: A, B, C, D) uses the presets for each.....like the ones I sent you.

Now...when you take it off P Mode and into, say, A (Aperture), you are now out of the Program Mode altogether. Is it making sense now?

The only time you use the Banks is when you are in Program Mode.

Strikermax

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean the presets only work in P mode?
I mainly use the presets to switch from regular to studio settings (I want to turn of auto ISO, use a different WB setting, color mode etc when I use studio flash for example). I never use P mode in the studio :).
As far as I know there are 16 different combinations of presets (4x4 presets) that can be used in whatever mode (either P, S, A or M), but maybe I'm missing something here.

gav329

Emoxley and jerry, thanks for replying I'll check that out thanks for taking the time to reply.

Gav

gav329

Jerry funnily enough I thought maybe about a VR lens to be honest. The D200 quite hard to keep still!!

Emoxly I'll have a look at the software and see what magic I can come up with!! Cheers guys

Gav