What lenses to take to the wedding?

Geoffc

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and I'm mulling over what to take. Firstly I'm not the the wedding photographer just an enthusiastic guest. And yes I will keep out of the pros way.

My camera body is a D300s and I have the following lenses that I could take. 35mm 1.8, 11-16 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and 18-200 3.5-5.6. I will also be taking an SB 900.

I know the three fast lenses would be perfect however I need to lug this stuff around all day and in the evening. I'm thinking the 35mm will do a good percentage of shots, but I might want something longer for the speeches and maybe the church. The 70-200 would be the weapon of choice but it's a bit big. The 11-16 would take care of everything below the 35mm.

I could Just take the 18-200 and leave the rest at home, but I would spend a lot of time at higher ISO or slower shutter speeds than I want. The SB900 should help out a little there but it's not a replacement for fast glass.

I know this is a nice dilemma to have but what would you do?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
18-200 and 35 with flash.

This way, you can shoot the newly weds from behind the pro and frame your shots with the zoom. If you were paid for the job, I's say the 70-200 for sure, but you want to enjoy the wedding too. Don't let the lenses get in your way too much. And, observe the pro, watch how they setup the couple for portrait shots, groups, their way of lighting etc. This could be a great learning experience for you.

Enjoy the day!