Need some help choosing a lens...

scgfiddlesnpics

Hello all,

Looking for some suggestions or recommendations on a portrait lens...

I have a D5000 that I love, and for the past year have been shooting equine event photography and turning my hobby into a small business. I really enjoy doing this, (since I ride and show myself) but I'm looking into starting to do some more portraiture. What I'm interested in is mainly people...seniors, families, babies/children, pets, and maybe some weddings down the road. At the moment, I have the Nikkor 55-300mm for the horse shows, and the Nikkor 18-55mm that came with the camera. These are both nice lenses, (and I've been especially happy with the 55-300 for what I've been using it for) but I find neither one takes the quality portraits I'm looking for. Unless that's just my lack of experience showing that I don't really know how to use them like I thought! :)
Anyway, I'm kind of between two (or four, depending on if I end up with the f/1.4 of f/1.8...) lenses that I've heard good things about. I'm looking at either the AF-S Nikkor 50mm or the AF-S Nikkor 85mm (both of these either the f/1.4 or f/1.8). I realize there are some pretty big price differences, but if the lens is really something great and worth saving for, I don't mind!
So, according to experiences or knowledge you might have, should I go with the 50mm or the 85mm? And the f/1.4 or f/1.8? Or is there another lens that would suit my needs even better?

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you very much!

Sophie

fotojack

Hi Sophie. Well... from experience, I'd go for the f1.8 85mm lens. Amazing lens, and will be your go-to portrait lens for a long time to come. Very sharp lens, and worth every penny!

pedroj

Hi Sophie welcome...The portraits that you do are they in a studio or outside, maybe a flash could be more beneficial to you and improve your images with the lens you have...Or go to a store and try the lens you have mentioned, then you can go home have a look...

scgfiddlesnpics

Thank you all for your quick replies!

The 85mm f/1.8 does look to be a very good choice, and I've heard that although it's great to have the f/1.4, the 1.8 takes better quality photos in general (is this true?) My question on the 85mm, however, is that if I put in on the D5000, won't the focal length actually be about 127.5mm? (Since it's a DX format). Will that be too long of a length for portraits, whereas putting on the 50mm will put it at 75mm? In your different experiences, what is the ideal length to shoot people, both full body and head shots, and weddings?

Pedroj, the photos I take are outside, since at the moment I neither have my own studio or access to one. Unless that changes, I'll continue to do portraits outdoors. I have considered trying different lighting and flashes, but never really followed through. That's definitely something to try! Also, I didn't know it was possible to try out a lens before buying it! What sort of stores do you suggest I try this at?

Thanks again!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Sophie,

I think there are many factors that should influence your decision.
1- How much money are you ready to invest? If you can afford it, I would say the 24-70 2.8 is about the best investment there is. I know it's expensive, but it is a hell of a lens and more, it will keep it's value. There is also the Tamron 28-75 2.8 that I think is a great value. Getting a "pro" zoom would let you cover events and groups a little better than a fixed focal length. OK, some will say that you loose on the aperture, and they are right, but, on the other hand you'll gain a lot of ease of use and will be able to frame your shots better.

2- If you really insist about fixed focal length, you will probably need to get the 35, 50 and 85. The 1.8 is the better deal in my opinion. At 1.4 these lenses do have "magic" feel to them, but I find them a little soft and too soft if used in a backlit situation (just my opinion).
And if you want to save even more money, try to get them pre-owned. You can save quite a bit there.

So there is no perfect answer for you, but at least you will have more info to make the decision you'll feel the best for you at this time.

Best of luck with your decision and your new business.

scgfiddlesnpics

Marcel, thank you for your suggestions. Ironically, earlier today while researching portrait lenses, I came across the 24-70mm and read that many of the pros love it and it is a favorite among them. It does look very nice, and I'm very intrigued!
Financially, I do have limited funds at the moment, but if this lens (the 24-70) was really something special and worth saving for, I don't mind waiting while putting away money. I also like the fact that it isn't a fixed focal length...the primes sort of scare me!
I think I've decided to look more into this one being my next lens. I think when the time comes, I will rent it and see if it suits me...
I don't have a problem with a pre-owned lens, as long as it's in good shape.

One other question...for any of you...what do you think of factory refurbished lenses? That also is kind of scary, but has anyone here had experiences with them?

Again, thank you all for your help!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Also, I can't seem to find if the 24-70 will be compatible with the D5000...does anybody know?

Yes it would be since it is an "AFS" lens. AFS means that the focus motor is inside the lens. Older AFD lenses would not work with the d5000 because the D5000 does not have the focus motor in the body.

fotojack

One other question...for any of you...what do you think of factory refurbished lenses? That also is kind of scary, but has anyone here had experiences with them?

Factory refurbished simply means the item (in this case the lens) has been returned to factory specifications, cleaned up, reset to original specs, etc. The factory, in this case, being Nikon. I can say with confidence that you would have no worries buying a refurbished lens from Nikon.

Eye-level

Banned
This is a portrait snap made with the D5000 and a Nikkor 105/2.5 that I paid like $90 bucks for from KEH. The 105 is 157.5 on DX which to me is a little bit long but it is definitely workable. This swimming pool shot is a good example. I was standing a pretty good distance away. You have to use this lens as a head and shoulder shooter to get its full potential. It is a piece of Nikon legend and lore the original bokeh machine. This is out of the camera with a little bit of saturation and warming to make the pinks and blues sing. The light was my enemy that day 3 or 4 in the afternoon on a bright sunny Oklahoma day. Harsh conditions. The 105 paints backgrounds masterfully this is f5.6 two stops above wide open.

Jewell.JPG

Last edited:

pedroj

Marcel, thank you for your suggestions. Ironically, earlier today while researching portrait lenses, I came across the 24-70mm and read that many of the pros love it and it is a favorite among them. It does look very nice, and I'm very intrigued!
Financially, I do have limited funds at the moment, but if this lens (the 24-70) was really something special and worth saving for, I don't mind waiting while putting away money. I also like the fact that it isn't a fixed focal length...the primes sort of scare me!
I think I've decided to look more into this one being my next lens. I think when the time comes, I will rent it and see if it suits me...
I don't have a problem with a pre-owned lens, as long as it's in good shape.

I have the AF-S 28-70 F2.8 the older brother of the 24-70...Both have great optics and both will work on your camera...

I bought mine second hand [$900] and I find it great for portraits and landscapes so is an other option for you to reseach

Mestre

There is a new option for the 24-70 lens, Tamron released a new lens with VC (Nikon's VR) and all the reviews give it an excellent performance. Pity it released a couple weeks after I bought my 24-70 Sigma, otherwise it would be my choice, since the Tamron has weather sealing like the Nikon and still costs around 70% of the 24-70 Nikon 2.8.