Going on Vacation.

Stangman98

So I am heading on vacation in a week. Flying into Richmond, VA and driving to Duck, NC for the week. Taking all the equipment with me. Is there anything between Richmond and Duck on or near I65 that I should check out? Looks like we will be heading through Newport News, Hampton, & Chesapeake on our why there.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You might want to see which Civil War battle locations are along the way. . . I would absolutely make time for a day at Colonial Williamsburg. . . and then you have the Navy base at Norfolk. Should fill a memory card or three!

Mike150

Not sure how much time you are taking for the drive. From Airport It is between a 4 and 5 hour drive.
Like Eduard said. There's lots of Civil war battlegrounds and museums around Richmond.
Earlier history there is Jamestown and Williamsburg Va. They have three of the old pilgrim's ships at Jamestown.
While at Duck, you have Kitty Hawk. There may still be the small airport where they will fly you out and down along the coast and back. It's highly overpriced for what you get, but it's a fun diversion if you have kids with you.
Also North of Duck is Corolla. Big lighthouse there. Been a while since I was on the OB, but you could once climb to the top of the lighthouse. They also care for any sick or injured wild horses by the lighthouse so you might see some of them.

If you want, I can continue to look up specifics on battlefields.

Stangman98

Not sure how much time you are taking for the drive. From Airport It is between a 4 and 5 hour drive.
Like Eduard said. There's lots of Civil war battlegrounds and museums around Richmond.
Earlier history there is Jamestown and Williamsburg Va. They have three of the old pilgrim's ships at Jamestown.
While at Duck, you have Kitty Hawk. There may still be the small airport where they will fly you out and down along the coast and back. It's highly overpriced for what you get, but it's a fun diversion if you have kids with you.
Also North of Duck is Corolla. Big lighthouse there. Been a while since I was on the OB, but you could once climb to the top of the lighthouse. They also care for any sick or injured wild horses by the lighthouse so you might see some of them.

If you want, I can continue to look up specifics on battlefields.

I thought the drive was only about 3 hours from what I mapped out. Are you saying it's 4-5 hours???

Mike150

I thought the drive was only about 3 hours from what I mapped out. Are you saying it's 4-5 hours???

I am going to assume that you are planning to arrive on a Saturday or Sunday. Almost all rentals are from Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun so half of the outerbanks visitors are traveling on each of those two days. You will make good time on the interstates, but highway 168 is a 4 lane local highway. All my past experiences have involved some idiot who either breaks down or wrecks to block traffic. I do believe that 4 hours is going to be your minimum drive if you have a couple of rest breaks, but don't be surprised if there are delays.
What I was really trying to find out is how much time you set aside for tourist stops. I mentioned Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown, Corolla and Kitty Hawk but don't forget the Lost Colony over on Manteo Island.
There are also many marinas who take people out on fishing trips. For me, I just like to sit on the beach with a surf fishing rig and hope I catch a tasty dinner.

Mike150

Well that about seals it then. You won’t have much time sightseeing in VA,but once in Duck, you have :
Corolla Lighthouse,
Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills (Wright Bros)
Jockey’s Ridge (Hang glider lessons and rental)
You can go out on a head boat to deeper water to fish. Head boats are first come first serve until it’s full.
If you have lots of cash, you can rent a boat for some Deepseea fun.
Various Piers you can pay to walk out on or fish from.

On Manteo Island you have:
Lost Colony & Elizabethan Gardens (Original Settlers Virginia Dare)
NC Aquarium.
Been a while since I was there, but those are some highlights. I do recall there is verylittle side of the road parking available, so you can’t just stop and enjoy aview, but you won't miss outon sights.Also keep in mind. Duck is an area of Private Beach access so very little in the way of crowds. Also No life guards so watch out for Rip Tides.I hope all this helps.

Last edited: