iPad Camera Connector Kit & Post Processing

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
In a thread in the Mirrorless Forum, a brief discussion was held about traveling light with a Nikon V1 and an iPad. I frequently am in that situation due to work travel when I can't take my D300.

The key to being able to capture RAW/NEF files and edit them on the iPad is the Camera Connection Kit. Apple sells one that is only capable of reading SD cards. I found a compatible version for a much more reasonable price. I also purchased a third party version that supports CF cards.
SD_Connector.jpgCF_Connector.jpg

I took a quick image of my morning routine (coffee for me and tea for my wife) on the Nikon V1. The image was captured in RAW. Using the Camera Connection Kit, I imported it onto my iPad, did a bit of editing in Snapseed and emailed it back to myself as a JPEG. I did resize the resulting image for display. The EXIF information (including GPS) was intact in the resulting JPEG.

EXIF: Nikon V1, 1 Nikkor 30-110 @ 32mm, Aperture Priority, f/3.8, 1/40, -1 Exposure Comp, ISO 400

Coffee and Tea_tn.jpg

I also did a quick iPad screen capture video for demonstration. It starts pretty quickly when the Camera Connector Kit is attached.

Last edited:

AC016

You got to love Apple. It would be very easy for them to include a card reader, built in to the iPad - even a USB port, oh the horror!! I guess that will come out with iPad 6? Anyhow, very nice find and thanks for the info.;)