Why did you choose Nikon?

Dooku77

I am a former Canon guy, I had a 50D and although I couldn't afford L glass I was able to borrow some from a friend when we shot a couple of weddings together. I was never truly happy with my image quality. Having owned my D7000 for less than a month I am truly amazed at what I can accomplish with it. I also really like this forum.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Other camera manufacturers also have their own niche. Canon isn't too bad either except that you now have to pay a higher premium to get their best L lenses.

I didn't have a clue on which system to start with. It was all based on what my cousins shoot before back in the film days. Fortunately I believe I made the right choice and I am happy extremely happy with Nikon.

slowpoke

The reason I shot Nikon,I shot the best.Why I bought a nikon?The price was right.Would I switch to another brand?NEVER!!!!!
Thanks for asking.LOL

PapaST

I had a couple of entry level Canon DSLRs. I've always wanted to try Nikon so I sold all my gear and jumped into the D7000. I'm impressed so far.

AC016

I bought ny first nikon, which was a d3k, because it was the most cost effective. Anything canon at the time, was more expensive. I never thought nikon was "cheap". I knew i was getting a quality product though. So, it really could have gone either way. Do i have the best brand? If nikon was the best, then canon would not be the market leader. Is canon the best? No. Both brands have their pros and cons. I have only ever picked up a canon dslr in the store, that is it. I would actually like very much to go out and use a 650d. I have an elura 100 which i love. My wife has a sony p&s and i have had a canon film camera and some fuji digital p&s. They are/were all good cameras. The best camera that there is, is the one that any one person has with them.

Dooku77

comparing the 50D to the D7000 is a no brainer. the 50D is much older technology, not really a contest.

I had purchased that camera when it was introduced and my next logical choice was the 7D but it was hard for me to part with 1800 on just a body lol

Dooku77

For the longest time I said " well if Nikon was able to secure a contract with Disney to be their main camera in the parks then they must be worth looking into". I'm extremely happy I did.

grandpaw

My dad had given me a Yashica Rangefinder in high school and when I graduated and got a job my dad and I went to the camera store for me to buy my first camera. The man that owned and run the store was a professional photographer that shot with Mamiya X330 cameras. I went in not knowing much about the different types of cameras and told him that I wanted something that I would be happy with years down the road and not have any trouble with it. He turned around, picked up a Nikon F with an FTN meter and a Nikon 50mm F2 lens and set it all on the counter and said that I would be happy with this equipment for a long time. After shooting with camera and adding additional lenses and another Nikon F and FTN meter I shot with this equipment from 1970 until about seven year ago when I went digital. At that tome I bought a Nikon D80 used it for a couple of years upgraded to a D90 and then Last year bought my D7000. So I bought the Nikon on the recommendation of a professional and have been shooting Nikon for the last forty two years. The guy's recommendation was good and I still have that camera and it works as well as it did the day I bought it. I might add that I ended up working for the same guy as a photographer for a while.
Jeff

Last edited:

Dooku77

My dad had given me a Yashica Rangefinder in high school and when I graduated and got a job my dad and I went to the camera store for me to buy my first camera. The man that owned and run the store was a professional photographer that shot with Mamiya X330 cameras. I went in not knowing much about the different types of cameras and told him that I wanted something that I would be happy with years down the road and not have any trouble with it. He turned around, picked up a Nikon F with an FTN meter and a Nikon 50mm F2 lens and set it all on the counter and said that I would be happy with this equipment for a long time. After shooting with camera and adding additional lenses and another Nikon F and FTN meter I shot with this equipment from 1970 until about seven year ago when I went digital. At that tome I bought a Nikon D80 used it for a couple of years upgraded to a D90 and then Last year bought my D7000. So I bought the Nikon on the recommendation of a professional and have been shooting Nikon for the last forty two years. The guy's recommendation was good and I still have that camera and it works as well as it did the day I bought it. I might add that I ended up working for the same guy as a photographer for a while.
Jeff

Now that is a great story. I started back in 1998 with a fuji film camera. Point and shoot every couple of years until my curiosity got the best of me and I purchased my first DSLR. The alligator men that you referred to in your other post, are they the same guys who have the show on TV?

Dooku77

Other camera manufacturers also have their own niche. Canon isn't too bad either except that you now have to pay a higher premium to get their best L lenses.

I didn't have a clue on which system to start with. It was all based on what my cousins shoot before back in the film days. Fortunately I believe I made the right choice and I am happy extremely happy with Nikon.

I was in the same boat. I didn't have any real stake in a certain brand so I was on the fence and unfortunately it cost me almost 2000 bucks to figure our I should have gone Nikon from the get go.

Dooku77

I bought ny first nikon, which was a d3k, because it was the most cost effective. Anything canon at the time, was more expensive. I never thought nikon was "cheap". I knew i was getting a quality product though. So, it really could have gone either way. Do i have the best brand? If nikon was the best, then canon would not be the market leader. Is canon the best? No. Both brands have their pros and cons. I have only ever picked up a canon dslr in the store, that is it. I would actually like very much to go out and use a 650d. I have an elura 100 which i love. My wife has a sony p&s and i have had a canon film camera and some fuji digital p&s. They are/were all good cameras. The best camera that there is, is the one that any one person has with them.

The only other canon I was considering before investing in Nikon was the 7D, but I couldn't justify the price.

grandpaw

Now that is a great story. I started back in 1998 with a fuji film camera. Point and shoot every couple of years until my curiosity got the best of me and I purchased my first DSLR. The alligator men that you referred to in your other post, are they the same guys who have the show on TV?

They are cast members of the show. You can read about it HERE. Jeff