Any Nikonites Have A D4?

Stangman98

Wondering if any of you have stepped up and purchased a D4 yet? If so I want to hear all the feedback on it. I think I am going to buy one in the future (Hopefully before next summer). I want to know if all the stories about great high ISO are really true.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I played with one, does that count?

DSC_0999.jpg

Stangman98

If you want a robust power horse, this might be the camera for you. D3s is still a pretty darn good camera and probably still the king in high ISO.

The D3S is better at high ISO? I know numbers are numbers, I need to see a D4 @ 3600 in the dark/low light to see where it's at.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
How awesome was it??
Was it good for you? :redface-new:

I wish I had more time with it, but it's incredibly fast to focus and fire off 11 or so shots

The D3S is better at high ISO? I know numbers are numbers, I need to see a D4 @ 3600 in the dark/low light to see where it's at.

There's a good comparison here, but they don't have any low light shots: Nikon D4 vs D3s vs D3 ISO Performance Comparison

Is that you jdeg? I expected you to be some old guy or something. :)

I thought the same thing

Yep! I thought I posted that pic before. I'm 40. Just kidding :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Don't count out the D800 for low light. The comparisons done by Mansurovs shows that while the D3s is better at low light, the difference is only seen at the very highest of ISO's

See here -

[h=3]Compared to Nikon D3s[/h]What about comparing the D800 to the low-light king, the Nikon D3s? Let’s take a look.
[h=3]25) Nikon D800 vs D3s ISO Comparison at low ISOs[/h]Same deal with the D3s – it shows almost identical performance at low ISO levels:

[h=3]26) Nikon D800 vs D3s High ISO Comparison[/h]Let’s see what happens when both are pushed to ISO 1600 and above:

Once again, ISO 1600 is very comparable.

And the same at ISO 3200.

At ISO 6400 the shadow area of the image on the D3s looks cleaner.

The same at ISO 12,800.

When pushed to ISO 25,600, the Nikon D3s is cleaner and retains colors, while the D800 still shows more details. D3s clearly retains more dynamic range at this ISO level.
[h=3]27) Nikon D800 vs D3s Summary[/h]Unlike the Nikon D700, the D3s is a worthy competitor to the D800. At high ISO levels the Nikon D3s definitely shows better ISO performance in the shadows, mostly because of higher dynamic range. This is clearly visible at ISO levels 12,800 and 25,600. At the same time, the Nikon D800 still resolves more detail at high ISO levels, thanks to lots of resolution and the down-sampling process.

Sambr

I gotta start saving for one. I need the high ISO capability for what I shoot so it's going to have to be either a D3s or D4.

Unless you really need the updated video - look for a good used D3s I shot tons of photos @ iso 12,800 with no problem at.Plus you have 2CF slots not XQD & CF like the D4 small detail however you have to take 2 card readers if you travel.
D3S_5240-XL.jpg