D800 is the most amazing camera I have ever used

Dave_W

The Dude
I just gotta say now at day 3 of having a D800 it's official - This is the most amazing camera I have ever shot with. The auto-focus is beyond perfect, the color rendition is phenomenal and it fits perfectly in hand. Clearly the EXPEED 3 is a much better processor than the EXPEED 2. That said, I still love my D7000 but compared to the D800, it's going to be hard to choose the 7000 over the 800.

It's unfortunate that some cameras were released with focus issues and have been hyper aware of potential focus issues and I'm glad to say the focus on this honey is spot on plus 1. After I downloaded my images I started zooming in and I swear it was like I was using a microscope. The detail I was pulling out was mind blowing. I've yet to take an image using a tripod but I'm sure it will prove just as amazing, possibly more so. As for the left focus issue, there doesn't seem to be one with this body. I suspect that Nikon has address this problem and all the newer D800 will have the fix already added.

All in all this camera is like a dream come true. Sharp, crisp images with superb color, excellent feel, and the photos coming out of it are the best looking photos I've ever taken. Nikon hit it out of the park on this one!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'll bet this camera is on a lot of people's wish list.

NAS never ends does it.

Congrats on the new D800!

Dave_W

The Dude
Thanks All! It is mind blowing how incredible this body is. I feel a little stifled with my enthusiasm because I have few people to exclaim my joy to. My wife just gives me that "look" when I tell her how awesome it is and my kids, after hearing about each new lens purchase, just kind of shake their heads and quickly change the subject. So I guess I had to come to a like-minded site like this one and shout how close this camera is to my version of the "perfect" camera. To be sure, I have been shooting since I was a kid, starting back in the mid-60's with a Kodak 110 taking images of my model planes and tanks ultimately ending in an N90 followed by a D70s, D7000 and now this exquisite instrument. Honestly, I feel like that kid again setting up my freshly painted Panzer tank and angling my camera just right to give it that "realistic" look and pondering what else I should photograph. Ha ha!! I guess the new camera buzz is still coming on, eh?

stmv

well,, as a Nikon user since FM to F3, and then D80-> D700, I have now had the D800 for over 2 months, and I have to concur, it is a fantastic camera. I have taken shots in all type of conditions and light, and it is matching my D700 for low noise, and the details are a pleasure. I find that sharpening is now with the lightest touch, or none at all!.

The D700 is collecting dust, and I find my two camera of choice is the D7000 for hiking and light weight, and the D800 the rest of the time, or any time, I want the best results possible.

So, enjoy you D800, I know I am.

Last edited:

Stangman98

well,, as a Nikon user since FM to F3, and then D80-> D700, I have now had the D800 for over 2 months, and I have to concur, it is a fantastic camera. I have taken shots in all type of conditions and light, and it is matching my D700 for low noise, and the details are a pleasure. I find that sharpening is now with the lightest touch, or none at all!.

The D700 is collecting dust, and I find my two camera of choice is the D7000 for hiking and light weight, and the D800 the rest of the time, or any time, I want the best results possible.

So, enjoy you D800, I know I am.

You ever get rid of that D700 let me know LOL

Dave_W

The Dude
What I find most interesting is the D800's low light resolution. When it was first announced there was ton's of speculation on how poor this camera would be under low light conditions. Who could have predicted it would be very similar to the legendary D700? As I was waiting for my copy, I was beginning to wonder if I had made a $3k mistake and should instead jump on a D700 and save ~$900 or maybe wait for the rumored D600. I can live with a 4 fps but low light issues would be a potential deal breaker. Good thing I waited until I had one in-hand. It's great in low light and amazing in good light. I'm glad I didn't talk myself out of one.

stmv

I posted as one of my first shots a fireworks, with extended time framing (for fireworks, I tripod/lock the mirror, and expose via the lens, so the camera is on for sometimes a minute or two, and you can see, the results are low noise, with no further noise reduction required. One of the reasons I am hanging onto my D700 is for a low noise night camera, but, I am not convinced anymore that is a valid reason.

stmv

funny you should say that, I am truly seriously thinking of selling it, Already sold one on ebay. Yes, D700s hold their value,, they close at between 1500-1900 dollars, which is great. I held onto a D300 too long, and the value plummeted. So, I do think that there is a sweet time to sell equipment, and right now, it is the best time to sell D700s.