shooting a beach wedding, need lens advice

warriormom

aside from the obvious fact of being a bit nervous (although i am (fairly) confident i can pull it off). it's going to be very casual, and though i get that this is their big day and i don't want to screw it up, i also know they can't afford anyone else and they like my style and the photos of mine that they have seen. here's my issue: i am at a loss as to my choice of lens. i only want to use one, since i am going to be on the beach and don't want to change lenses. i have a 55-200/1:4-5.6, a 50mm/1.4 and my trusty 18-55mm/1-3.5-5.6. i am wondering if should go up to the 70-300? i don't want to get in the way, obviously, so i am thinking this would be a good all purpose lens that would allow me to stay out of the way while still being able to get the shots i want. i am planning on getting the sb600 for fill light and may have somebody with a reflector standing by if need be. input? ideas? thanks y'all.

ohkphoto

Snow White
i am wondering if should go up to the 70-300? i don't want to get in the way, obviously, so i am thinking this would be a good all purpose lens that would allow me to stay out of the way while still being able to get the shots i want. i am planning on getting the sb600 for fill light and may have somebody with a reflector standing by if need be. input? ideas? thanks y'all.

The 70-300 will be be nice if you don't want to get in the way. You can keep your distance. The 18-55 you'll need for group shots. So it really depends on the look you're going for, and how many people. You don't have enough of a range in your lenses to cover everything. When I shoot a wedding I use 2 cameras so I don't have to change lenses. Actually a perfect lens for weddings and events is the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 (It's on my list of lenses to buy) The 24mm would give you the group shots and the 120mm would allow for intimate captures without getting in the way. I usually rent lenses from borrowlenses.com for special occasions if I don't have one that I need. You might also practice using the flash off camera. Set it up on a lightstand where you need it and operate it remotely. The reflector is also a good idea, and check into a diffuser for the flash.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

warriormom

yes, it does help, thank you! and while we are on the subject of off camera flash--i have no idea yet how to go about using a flash. i am hoping to get it very soon so i can work with it a lot before the big day. anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial or instruction on off-camera usage? will i need a separate remote for the flash or is it triggered by the d90? i know i am about to get into some confusing stuff with this flash and i want to get a good grasp on how it all works before i get a hold of it and get frustrated

ohkphoto

Snow White
Some questions: 1. Does the D90 have a "commander mode" capability (should be in the manual)
2. when is the wedding, i.e. how much time do you have to "experiment"?
3. why are you getting the 600 instead of the 700 ?

westmill

Banned
You basicly need to set your flash to fire a couple of stops under to act as a fill in source. The Idea is just to fill in the shadow areas. A diffuser is not nesercary and can only serve to rob the flash of power. When its correct it should be difficult to tell flash was even used. A reflector can do the same job. I would also use centre weighted metering since nikon matrix has a bad habbit of overexposing in bright contrasty conditions. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
The Idea is just to fill in the shadow areas. A diffuser is not nesercary and can only serve to rob the flash of power.

I disagree. The lighting should be evened out without harsh lines . . . that's what the diffuser is for and that's why you want to use a Nikon speedlight with CLS capability. Like I said originally, it depends on the vision . . . brides should look soft and natural . . . not whited out as in a glamour shot but not with raccoon eyes either.

warriormom

well, now that you mention it: my response was about to be 'price' until i checked amazon and realized that the 700 is cheaper, lol! i was really going on a friend's recommendation. i am flash-ignorant, i am ashamed to say.
the wedding is in march. i am hoping to get the flash in the next few months at the very latest.

ohkphoto

Snow White
the wedding is in march. i am hoping to get the flash in the next few months at the very latest.

I recommend getting this book, Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe mcNally He's a master of Nikon's Creative Lighting System and does amazing things with Nikon speedlights. It's a great guide for beginners and experts alike. Lots of detail about how to use a flash. When you get your flash, then just follow his instructions. But definitely get one better than the 600. When I shoot a wedding, I have 2 SB-900's and an SB 800. We were all ignorant about flashes when we started. Joe's book will help you a lot, and will give you confidence.

Between now and the wedding, practice with the flash, look at some of the threads here, especially posts by Ranie (his flash photos/portraits are excellent and he always includes the set up)

Eye-level

Banned
Not really what you asked about in the OP but I would remind you that sand is the enemy when it comes to camera gear. I've heard folks talk about putting their gear in ziploc freezer baggies for added protection against the sand so you may want to consider something like this when setting up your bag.

warriormom

yeah, i'm a little concerned about it, to be honest. the guy at adorama said "i could sell you a hundred things if i wanted to, but the d90 is sealed enough that you don't have to worry." i was a little confused about this since i was pretty certain the weather sealing was not an attribute of my beloved d90. however, if he had the opportunity to sell me something and didn't, i kinda have to think he might know what he's talking about. i am rolling around a few sand-proofing ideas--i don't really want to be shooting a wedding while trying to wrangle a piggly wiggly bag that is flapping in the sea breeze and upside my head. lol....

westmill

Banned
I disagree. The lighting should be evened out without harsh lines . . . that's what the diffuser is for and that's why you want to use a Nikon speedlight with CLS capability. Like I said originally, it depends on the vision . . . brides should look soft and natural . . . not whited out as in a glamour shot but not with raccoon eyes either.
I shoot weddings too, not just glamour. Ive certainly not noticed anything you describe in such conditions. A diffuser is great indoors or if its used as the main light source. Fill in is used to counter the raccoon efect you describe. If your subjects are whited out you are over exposing. Fill flash when correct should not be noticable in the picture other than a reduction in shadow areas such as around the eyes and under the nose etc. A diffuser in such circumstances makes no differance other than absorb the flashes power.

ohkphoto

Snow White
A diffuser in such circumstances makes no differance other than absorb the flashes power.

Again, a minor point. It's a matter of style and preference. To each his own. I prefer light modifiers and know how how to use them inside and outside.

westmill

Banned
Again, a minor point. It's a matter of style and preference. To each his own. I prefer light modifiers and know how how to use them inside and outside.
Yes a very minor point. I know how to use them too and for a long time indeed. Indoors and outdoors. Regardless of style or preferance its not so minor when you think you are getting fill flash when in reality your flash did not have the range due to being robbed of both power and distance due to there being a diffuser stuck on the end of the flash. As you say though... each to there own.

warriormom

luckily i will also arrive on site at least a day, maybe two early and will be able to do some on-site experimenting. i think this is a great advantage as opposed to just showing up and trying to figure it out on the fly! i personally think a reflector is going to be invaluable in this case, probably as much or more than the flash, since the wedding will (of course) be near sunset and shadows will certainly not be in short supply.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing to remember is that the beach itself will be acting like a huge light reflector. But there will be a lot of light specially if it's a sunny sky.

Depending on your shooting distance from the subject, you might want a flash that will have too much power ( I doubt they exist) than a flash that doesn't get to do the job.

I don't have enough experience with Nikon CLS system and I even wonder if it would work outside under a full sun? You might want to check out radio flash triggers, get manual flashes on tripods here and there and go from there.

But you still have plenty of time to do research and tests.

Keep us informed and best of learning.

ohkphoto

Snow White
luckily i will also arrive on site at least a day, maybe two early and will be able to do some on-site experimenting. i think this is a great advantage

Absolutely! It always helps to "scout out" a new setting. I always do that if it's a location that's new to me. Helps with the level of confidence, too :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
i think this is a great advantage as opposed to just showing up and trying to figure it out on the fly! i personally think a reflector is going to be invaluable in this case, probably as much or more than the flash, since the wedding will (of course) be near sunset and shadows will certainly not be in short supply.

It all depends on where the sunset will be to your subjects...