Meike makes a blatant copy of the SB-900

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Chinese companies love copying name brand products. Here's the latest to come out from MeiKe, a SB-900 copy:

meike-mk900sb900.jpg

The big difference is the lack of high speed sync. You can get one for around $180.

From: Spot the difference: 580EX II, SB-900 speedlight clones | Lighting Rumours

AC016

"Chinese companies love copying name brand products."

Chinese companies are the ones who make the name brand products in the first place, no? lol:) Are all 900's made in Japan? I have seen a few and they all say Made In Japan.... just curious. Meike seems to make decent products, ie: battery grips. I am sure you will find a review online somewhere. Of course, i doubt it will be on par with the actual Nikon product.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'd be interested in the performance. The Nikon CLS system is so easy and flawless to use. I find it hard to believe that they could duplicate the quality . . . wish someone would do a performance review. The clone doesn't have an SU-4 setting, so I'm wondering about the transmit and receive signals between the "real" speedlights and the clones. Also the zoom range on the clone is 20 -105 mm and the Nikon is 17-200mm. I believe that might say something about the flash power.

westmill

Banned
The Meike is quoting more power than the SB900. Guide number of 40 for the SB and 42 for the Meike. The SB900 is a bugger for overheating just like the 800. It would be cool if it turns out to be a regular work horse. I stopped using SBs and went to Metz because of the over heating problems. My flash units tend to get a hard life at times :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
I love my SB-900's. I always use two of them for events. One is remote, the other is on camera in commander mode which I easily switch back to ittl if I need. Occasionally they overheat, but recover quickly enough . I still don't believe the clones have the same output power as the Nikon original.

Guide number of 40 for the SB and 42 for the Meike.

I think they're fudging on this and I'm not sure they know how to calculate GN.

Last edited: