Can lens damage the camera?

WhiteLight

Err yeah.. you read that right...
been seeing on a few write ups online that whne you have have a heavy lens attached & you are lugging it around all day on a neck strap and its hanging down, there are chances that the lens mount can get loose?

is there any truth to this?
having picked up a new 70-300, am very conscious now & am always holding the lens upright which gives a bit of a pain on the hands after a while
:)

westmill

Banned
Ive never once heard of this problem ever :D How they are screwed together i would imagine you could hang a truck by one lol. Ive certainly on a number of occasions walked around with a big heavy 80-200 F2.8 attached to my camera slung over my shoulder on the end of a tripod without a care in the world. If anything were to happen I would susspect faulty goods in the first place.

§am

If you use a plastic mount lens (eg. 55-200 VR) then I would suggest never 'grab' the camera by the lens (something you shouldn't do with any lens anyway).

I used to do it a lot when not using the camera, hold the lens barrel as I walked around, but now just hold onto the side of the body instead :)