What to buy next?

unlvgrad03

I am new to the forum and new to the DSLR world. I purchased a D5100 kit a few months ago and it came with a 18-55mm VR Lens and Nikon 55-200mm VR Lens.

I want to purchase more equipment, a new lens maybe a Speedlight. My question to the experts is what should I buy next that will give me the most bang for my buck so to speak.

I am a novice and my camera is really more of a hobby then a profession so I don’t want to put a ton of money in right away.

Eye-level

Banned
Most bang for the buck? What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...LOL

All kidding aside I think the new 28G or a 35G fast prime would be great for Vegas at night.

What I would like to have that is very reasonable would be a circular polarizer...again that would be good for Vegas in the daytime.

Most of us are hobbyist some a little more enthusiastic about our cameras than our kids and pets and S.O. but I will tell you this if you start getting into it you'll FIND a ton of money to put into it somewhere I promise! lol :)

airman85b

Hello,
I would start off with a good case/backpack and a good tripod. It depends on what tyrpe of photos you will be taking to know what will give you the most bang for the buck. But what ever you take photos of you will need a good case and tripod.

Mike150

I heard 9mm ammo is really cheap when you buy 1000 rounds at a time. That's a lot of bangs.

I just bought an SB700 and love it. Sure puts that red eye worry to bed. I also think considering a good tripod for low light conditions would be a good bet too.

pedroj

I heard 9mm ammo is really cheap when you buy 1000 rounds at a time. That's a lot of bangs.

I just bought an SB700 and love it. Sure puts that red eye worry to bed. I also think considering a good tripod for low light conditions would be a good bet too.

I have the SB-600...Hopefully in August I'll purchase the SB-700 and try and find a second 600..

bluenoser

Banned
Why do you want to buy another piece of equipment? Usually (or more accurately: "preferably") a person's desire for another lens or new speed light is driven by a gap in their ability to get the shot they want to capture. So what is it you find yourself not being able to do with your current set-up? Do you need a wider lens or perhaps a longer reach? Is a faster lens what you're lacking for shooting in low light? Perhaps you want to try macro photography and need that type of lens?

You have 2 very basic but still excellent lenses to work with that cover the 18-200 focal range. You need to tell us what area *you* want to cover before we can give you advise on what you should get. If you just want to blow some cash then buy any of the recommendations above - they're all good choices. However first you need to find out for yourself by going out and shooting what you want to get done with your camera.

Just for the record, this is my recommended, economical DX lens set up: 35 f/1.8, 18-105VR, 70-300VR and an SB-700. If you have these 4 items to go along with your DX body - for most people - you've got the majority of what you'll come across covered.

Good luck! :)

TedG954

Depending on much your budget allows, these are the "essentials". I put them in the order of my opinionated need. I am not an expert, but I've gone through the process. Good luck and enjoy your camera.

1.) Good bag
2.) Good tripod
3.) Nikon prime 35mm lens
4.) Howa Polarizing filter
5.) Flash (Nikon)

Jim1951

Hi, I have the D5000 and the same lenses as you and I am in much the same position experience wise with digital equipment.
As I have grandchildren I tend to take a lot of portrait photographs at the moment, a lot of which are indoors. Also on a recent holiday some of my pictures would have been better with more light.
Therefore, I have decided that good flash upgrade will help me, most probably the SB-700
Maybe later when I am more experienced with digital equipment I will put my hand in my pocket and buy some better gear, but for now what I have will be fine.

§am

The first thing I thought when I had decided what body & lens(es) I wanted was what was I going to carry it all around in?
Across the shoulder, backpack, tote, carry case etc etc

Keep in mind you will add to your kit with time, so no use buying a bag that fits what you have now.

I went for a LowePro Flipside (Lowepro - Flipside 300) because I liked the idea of keeping my kit secure, I feel more comfortable spreading any load across both shoulders when on my back, and the fact I can happily put my camera body with 18-55 in there, along with 55-200, flash, battery charger (and power lead), spare batteries, memory cards, filters, and still have space for prob a prime lens.

AC016

Why do you want to buy another piece of equipment? Usually (or more accurately: "preferably") a person's desire for another lens or new speed light is driven by a gap in their ability to get the shot they want to capture. So what is it you find yourself not being able to do with your current set-up? Do you need a wider lens or perhaps a longer reach? Is a faster lens what you're lacking for shooting in low light? Perhaps you want to try macro photography and need that type of lens?

You have 2 very basic but still excellent lenses to work with that cover the 18-200 focal range. You need to tell us what area *you* want to cover before we can give you advise on what you should get. If you just want to blow some cash then buy any of the recommendations above - they're all good choices. However first you need to find out for yourself by going out and shooting what you want to get done with your camera.

Just for the record, this is my recommended, economical DX lens set up: 35 f/1.8, 18-105VR, 70-300VR and an SB-700. If you have these 4 items to go along with your DX body - for most people - you've got the majority of what you'll come across covered.

Good luck! :)

What he said. A bag and a tripod would be the only things i would suggest to you at the moment. Since you said you are new to the DSLR world, i would first get to know your camera first. Know what you can do with it and the lenses you already have - those lenses are pretty decent by the way. If you start getting into filters/polarizers, bla bla... you will get distracted - maybe even frustrated - from learning the basics/fundementals of shooting with your camera. No real sense in getting something just for the sake of it. Get to know your camera inside and out, get to know what you can do with it along with the lenses. You can do a hell of a lot with a D5100 without all the gadgetry, trust me.

Ruidoso Bill

I like Ted's suggestions, especially #1. Good Case (maybe more than one and twice the size of what gear you have) #2. Good Tripod (Manfrotto used off ebay), & #5. Good Flash (700 is good but 800 & 900's used also good)

Everything else can wait until you identify a real need.