Capture NX2 HELP!

WhiteLight

Hi all you nikonites

I desperately need some help.
I just recently decided i had enough time learning about my D5100 and shot a few pics & it was time to learn to 'process' these photos.

So there i was already in a dilemma as to where to start with the dozens of programs out there. with users of each saying why their preferred software is... well, better..

After a lot of reads, i got nowhere.
So i decided to download the trial version of Capture NX2 to see what it was all about..

and that's when things started flying above my head.
i ain't a computer noob & i can handle my way around, but this was like some alien program to me.

To put things in perspective, i only started with a camera this year.
Never shot fotos even with a point and shoot or my fone cam.
so, i haven't the foggiest idea about processing a photo & what it involves...

i would be really happy if anyone can help me with the following 3 questions-

1) Is capture nx2 the software to go to?
Considering me still taking baby steps in the world of photography, is this a good place to start?
Cos i can't find any good material for absolute beginners like me.
All the you tube vids assume you to have at least basic knowledge in post processing.
The capture nx 2 manual is not really helpful either. and its 270 pages.
The Nikon official videos are good, but again the first steps to be taken seem to be a 'do it yourself' feature.
I have seen loads of tutorials for lightroom, photoshop etc.
so... should i change my starting point?

2) Any links to videos or pdf's that can help in getting started with the above?

3) what are the things i need to do as standard once i have transferred the files over to my PC?
I mean, what does post processing entail.
i would be HUGELY grateful if you could provide me the steps...

4) anything else you think would help!

as am sure you understand by reading my post above, i am a total beginner in photography & even more in processing... and for the love of life i can't find the starting point... so please be kind :)

anything you suggest is very welcome..
Thanks!

Last edited:

westmill

Banned
One.... Capture NX2 is a superb program so yes, most deffo a good choice and is far easier to learn than the likes of CS4 etc.
First off... are you shooting RAW or JPG ? The first thing you need to do comes up in your box on the right. You can alter exposure, add detail to highlights and bring out detail in shadow areas and alter contrast all from the same place using the slider controls. This would be your first step. This may be all you need for a lot. Then open in unsharp mask and view at 100% to add sharpness. Iou are shooting raw its normaly around 100 + mark... If JPG try about 12. Its all simple indeed once you start playing. Trying to guide you each step of the way is a rather tall order lol. As you say... 270 pages worth :D The hard copy book is very good and detailed and easy to understand though. Just keep playing. The things that are possable is mind bogling. Enjoy :D

Mike150

I've never used NX2, but I do use an older version of lightroom(2). You can download a free 30 day trial of LR4 from adobe. It's great for managing and organizing your photos. It also has a lot of really powerful edit capabilities.

WhiteLight

One.... Capture NX2 is a superb program so yes, most deffo a good choice and is far easier to learn than the likes of CS4 etc.
First off... are you shooting RAW or JPG ? The first thing you need to do comes up in your box on the right. You can alter exposure, add detail to highlights and bring out detail in shadow areas and alter contrast all from the same place using the slider controls. This would be your first step. This may be all you need for a lot. Then open in unsharp mask and view at 100% to add sharpness. Iou are shooting raw its normaly around 100 + mark... If JPG try about 12. Its all simple indeed once you start playing. Trying to guide you each step of the way is a rather tall order lol. As you say... 270 pages worth :D The hard copy book is very good and detailed and easy to understand though. Just keep playing. The things that are possable is mind bogling. Enjoy :D

Lol.. yeah.. its 270 pages for someone who knows whats going on.
it's more like 2700 pages for me..

I did start shooting originally in JPG but now have started RAW + JPG...
after reading hte first few pages of the manual :)

westmill

Banned
Well I would forget about shooting RAW + JPG for now.In fact I would shoot JPG until you get a bit more used to edditing. Or poss RAW but not both. You will confuse yourself more. Shoot RAW.... you can work On RAW as easily as JPG in capture NX2. Its one of its many selling points. Edit everything you need edit then convert the lot Into JPGs. If you are unsure how to do that, then shoot JPGs. Editing is soooo easy. It wont take long to start and suss things out. Once you get it, you will be hooked, trust me ! Look at my pics to see whats poss in capture NX2. Its all I use for the vast majority. :D

WhiteLight

Thanks. Will try it out.
Would you recommend any websites or pdf's or videos to learn the basics from?
you know as to what button does what and absolute basic stuff ?

westmill

Banned
Thanks. Will try it out.
Sorry I dont. I learnt the hard way and with the instruction manual. I would think there would be a lot on u tube though. :)

Mike150

Thanks. Will try it out.

I went to Youtube and searched for "capture nx2" and found about 250 videos. That should get you a start, but eventually you'll have to break out the manual.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have to disagree with recommending NX2. I've seen too many people struggle with the non-standard interface and the buggy product. I'd suggest reading the commentary from June 10th (link) from Thom Hogan - an admittedly pro-Nikon person.

You appear to be struggling with two issues - maximizing the use of your camera AND selecting a software product for post processing. Westmill's advice to just shoot jpeg for a while and get used to the camera is sound. Once you get to the point where you're pleased with your composition and comfortable with the technical aspects, then you can go down the path of serious post processing.

Whatever decision you make on software now will linger. First off, do you use a Mac or PC? How powerful is your system (processor, RAM, storage, video card) and are you running a current operating system? Your setup may limit choices.

What is your software budget? Some products have frequent upgrades that require you to stay current. Are you willing to continue to invest in your choice?

Next ask yourself honestly how much time you want to commit to learning whichever product you select. It isn't wrong to say that you want something simple and don't plan to spend a lot of time on.

Feel free to reply and start a dialog. You're not the only one with the questions and believe me we've all been there too.

Last edited:

WhiteLight

Eduard thank you very much for your reply.
I spent quite a lot of time since i posted these questions here, on you tube & other resources but nx2 seems to be, very complicated and like you stated- buggy.
I found it difficult to do simple things which were shown on the videos and the program kept hanging on me.

about my system, i have a Intel Dual core 2.1 gig, 2 GB Ram, Geforce gt 440
running win7..

i really do want to learn to use either lightroom and/or nx2.
i do intend to spend possibly a day of the weekend every week...
my photography is purely non-professional, but i definitely want to learn most aspects of either tool.
like i stated, am no mug on the system, i can handle my way around if i know where to begin :p
which unfortunately i am not able to on NX2.

pedroj

I removed it after I had it on my computer for a while...I found it wanted to take over it tried to override where I wanted the files...I don't have this problem with photshop, lightroom or photoimpact 12...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
my system, i have a Intel Dual core 2.1 gig, 2 GB Ram, Geforce gt 440
running win7..

You're slightly above the minimums for Lightroom but you didn't indicate how much hard drive space you have. The best thing is to go to Adobe's website and download the 30 day trial and see if it works for you. The good thing about Lightroom is that there are plenty of tutorials, books and classes available.

WhiteLight

You're slightly above the minimums for Lightroom but you didn't indicate how much hard drive space you have. The best thing is to go to Adobe's website and download the 30 day trial and see if it works for you. The good thing about Lightroom is that there are plenty of tutorials, books and classes available.

i have loads of free space - 3 tb in external drives :p
assumed that should do!

yea i did a quick search and found lots and lots of tutorials even for total newbies...
that is something capture nx really needs...

i understand that control points are the only real advantage of nx2
lightroom can now deal with raw and nef files just the same way as nx2 can

is that right?

Mike150

Lightroom is clear enough that you can get started using it rather quickly. You have to learn the screen and modules first.

I bit the bullet and signed up for a class in Lightroom at one of the local colleges here. That taught me a lot about using the program to it's potential. I know college classes right now are a bit on the pricy side, but it was worth every penny.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You can do something similar in Lightroom using the Adjustment Brush. Take a look at that feature in the Develop Module.

Control points are awesome. You can add that feature to Lightroom via a plugin called Viveza. Viveza is from the company that created Capture NX2 for Nikon.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I bit the bullet and signed up for a class in Lightroom at one of the local colleges here. That taught me a lot about using the program to it's potential. I know college classes right now are a bit on the pricy side, but it was worth every penny.

And that is one of the major advantages of using Lightroom, Aperture or Photoshop. . . if you're a visual learner, classroom instruction is available.

WhiteLight

You can do something similar in Lightroom using the Adjustment Brush. Take a look at that feature in the Develop Module.

Control points are awesome. You can add that feature to Lightroom via a plugin called Viveza. Viveza is from the company that created Capture NX2 for Nikon.

Now that's really awesome!
thanks for the tip Eduard

WhiteLight

And that is one of the major advantages of using Lightroom, Aperture or Photoshop. . . if you're a visual learner, classroom instruction is available.

For sure.
but i like to believe that i can work myself around with tutorials and learn how things are done.
classes will only put me to sleep :p jk

WhiteLight

Btw, how often do lightroom updates get out?
am guessing you are not automatically entitled for an update but will have to purchase each time at a lowered cost?