Sharpness setting in camera

BooBoos

On my Nikon D-300 there is a sharpening adjustment.Where is the best place for that adjustment the scale reads from 0-9.Has anyone ever seen this scale.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's in the shooting menu (little camera) under "set picture control". You select between standard, neutral vivid and when you go into these you can adjust them individually depending on your personal taste.

BooBoos

That is correct mine is set about 6 right now.With my 24-70mm nikon lens the photos are tack sharp.With my 16-85mm lens they are not all sharp. I see to the far left of the scale ther is the letter A i assume that is for auto. I am unsure where to keep my setting.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Were you referring to the individual lens focus adjustment? This is another topic and menu option. That would be in the setup menu "AF fine tune" where you'd test the lens with a target at 45 degree and change the numbers to adjust for front or back focus. The sharpening adjustment in the picture control menu is only to sharpen the in-camera jpeg conversion. It doesn't affect the way the focusing occurs with different lenses.

Ruidoso Bill

Marcel is correct, best to use a good target (can be downloaded or purchased), tripod and some time. Do each lens at a time and adjust for front or back focus issues. I will look for an article I found and post it up.

BooBoos

Just out of my curosity.When you go in from the set picture control. What setting is the sharpness normally at.Or should I leave it on A which I think is auto

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just out of my curosity.When you go in from the set picture control. What setting is the sharpness normally at.Or should I leave it on A which I think is auto

I'd say it depends on your personal taste. How you feel your images look and what you are trying to achieve. And it's easily changeable. Plus, if you shoot in "raw" it doesn't affect a thing since this sharpening is only applied in the raw-jpeg conversion.

westmill

Banned
Errrrr leave finefocus tuning be unless you have a problem !!!!!! Sharpness .... Nikon are a little soft in there standard settings compaired to the likes of cannon etc. I turned mine up about 3 notches and sharpen the rest in unsharp mask. I find this gives far better results than trying perfection out of the camera. :D