D5100 Newbie Question

antondmp

_DSC0033-1.jpg
This moving car image no:1 I have taken in Auto Sport mode.F stop-F/5.6:Shutter- 1/1000Sec.;ISO 800 Lense18-55mm
_DSC0008-1.jpg
This image no2 also taken from the same position but in Aperture Priority mode (A)
F Stop F/5.6; Shutter Speed 1/125; ISO -100, same lens.Moving Image is not clear as no 1
Now my problem is this, when i adjusted the f stop to F/5.6 I couldn't get the same shutter speed like image no1.my ISO Setting also on auto. How can I get clear image like No1 from A MODE. What r the adjustment I have to made.Please advice.

Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
In Aperture mode, the iso you have to select yourself. In Auto Sport, iso will be brought higher to get fast shutter speed.
So, in order to get faster shutter speed in A mode, you have to decide of your iso speed.

Hope this helps.

antondmp

thanks 4 ur quick response.How can I adjust ISO ,from the menu?What is best mode for moving object?

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Try shooting in M mode;

With good light during the day, you can stop just about anything including jets at 1/1000. Set your ISO max sensitivity to 1600 if that is what you want but at night or darker areas, you might see some noise.

You can also set your camera to S or speed priority. Set the speed to 1/400 and see if that stops the motion of the moving vehicle. Just play around and I'm sure you'll see how the speed, aperture and ISO affects the output of your image.

I'm more of a conservative and I like to stay below ISO 800.

Read your owner's manual so that you can better use its capabilities and features.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
thanks 4 ur quick response.How can I adjust ISO ,from the menu?What is best mode for moving object?

I think you found out that Auto Sport was the best mode for moving objects. If the high iso quality is OK for your needs, just work with it until you understand how the shutter speed-aperture-iso work together.
You can have a look in the general photography threads about these subjects. There will be a learning curve but in the meantime just enjoy your Nikon.