Used eBay lens dusty inside, opinions??

johncook

Hi guys,

What would you do in my shoes? I bought a used lens on eBay for £170, it said it was in used condition, lightly marked but fully functional. it's got lots of dust inside the glass of the lens. This was not mentioned.

I tested it out on a holiday to Portugal last week (first chance to try it out but I did buy it about 3 wks ago) and you can see 50+ dust spots on portions of the image (mainly visible on the blue sky).

I bought it as a walk around lens as it's quite light and it otherwise works, but I think the amount if dust is unacceptable and it's gonna stop me using the lens and switch to one of my other lenses.

It's definitely the lens not the sensor because putting my other lens on and there are no spots on the pictures.

I've sent the seller a message about this, just waiting to hear back.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well John, the dust spots that you see on the image have nothing to do with some dust inside the lens. Dust inside the lens would just produce a soft image and would be a lot softer if used in a backlit situation.
Take shots with both lenses at f16 of blue sky or white wall and you should see the same spots at the same place on the images. The spots we see in pictures are 99% sensor dust. So maybe it's time for you to either clean your sensor or have it wet cleaned.

slowpoke

If it where me I'd take it to a camera store and have the lens inspected.It could be serious.Or not but you'll know.Just a thought.

westmill

Banned
I have to agree with Marcel here. Its most unlikely you would see dust spots on an image from dust in a lens. It would genraly just degrade the image slightly. Its normaly found in the old push pull type zooms, caused by the actual suction when zooming outwards. Some lenses didnt have any issue with good build and high tolerances etc. It could be worth having it cleaned, but I would just use it for now and see if there really is a problem. It could have been a fluke ! :D

Eye-level

Banned
170 euros is not chump change. You say your other lenses are just fine no specks in the pictures so it has to be the new lens. I would want to return the lens for a full refund or I would want at least half of my money refunded and keep the lens the reason being you are going to have to pay to have the lens taken apart and cleaned in order for it to be useful. Get an estimate for the CLA and then contact him and spell it out plain and simple. Be diplomatic!

westmill

Banned
170 euros is not chump change. You say your other lenses are just fine no specks in the pictures so it has to be the new lens. I would want to return the lens for a full refund or I would want at least half of my money refunded and keep the lens the reason being you are going to have to pay to have the lens taken apart and cleaned in order for it to be useful. Get an estimate for the CLA and then contact him and spell it out plain and simple. Be diplomatic!
Diplomatic...... Give me my money back or you shall wake up with a horses head in your bed ;)