Weekly Challenge June 24 - July 1: "Curves"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser

Banned
9b2a4ce5489cb7f3b71257fbb4e7.jpg

The "Marilyn Monroe" Towers in Mississauga, Ontario

Weekly Challenge June 24 - July 1: Curves

I find curves to be so inviting in all their manifestations. The curves of a shapely woman or of a long, winding road or how about the curves on a beautifully crafted musical instrument? Curves are found everywhere we turn and even in some places we don't expect to see them like in the picture of the condominium towers shown above - the aptly named "Marilyn Monroe" towers! :)

So what am I looking for this week? Well I want to see your curves...hrm...well...not exactly *yours* but you get the idea. Show me how the curves in your life present themselves and capture them as beautifully as you can. I want to see images showing your vision of some stunning curves. I want you to show me your skill when presenting your images - let's see that amazing composition and great story telling photos!!

Again, a fairly straightforward theme but please just don't post-up just any old entry - I want to see quality over quantity (or both combined would be even better!). As the title said in that 1980 hit single by the SOS band: "Take Your Time (Do It Right)"! :D

Now just because the theme is simple doesn't mean I want you to just throw anything together. The winner - as always - will be chosen in part based on criteria such as impact, creativity, technical excellence, story telling, etc. (see the 12 elements of a merit image below).

These challenges are designed to help you grow in your photography skills and creativity, and also to have fun. Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on July 1 (12:00pm - noon - EDT)...so get those photos in and most importantly - have fun!!!! :D

The Rules

1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
3. Challenges will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge, unless otherwise indicated.
5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator***. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

fotojack

This morning started out cloudy and overcast....kind of dreary really. I set up the D40 next to my garage, waiting for the sun to come up and cast a shadow against the fence of the apple tree in my yard. It took about an hour and a half of waiting for just the right moment, and this is the result; curves all over the place! I hope you like. :)

Tree Shadow 2.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is my entry. Taken with D90 and 70-300 VR II @ 300mm, 1/320 f22, iso 800

DSC_2756.jpg
Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Lscha

Curves and Candles........Couldn't decide between 3 shots of these. Mom (Shirleyann) had to help me decide. Hope you like it. I've always wanted to light those candles.

curves.jpg

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION Camera Model: NIKON D3100 Image Date: 2012-06-25 17:06:52 (no TZ) Focal Length: 48.0mm (35mm equivalent: 72mm) Aperture: f/5.3 Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20) ISO equiv: 1600 Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV Metering Mode: Matrix Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto) White Balance: Manual Light Source: Fine Weather Flash Fired: No Software: PaintShop Pro 14.00

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

These are curves that I never expected to find!

This house was built back in 1884 and is currently undergoing restoration.

Enjoy these...

"Brick Curves"

Twisted Chimneys.jpg

TedG954

This week's effort.......

Curves IIIa.jpg

Richard B. Vowles (1950)
The curvature of space is...one aspect of the theory of relativity. Maxwell's structure laws for the electromagnetic field brought events very close to each other in space and time, and Einstein's theory crystallized from the proximity. Hence "electromagnetic Einstein," if I understand the syntax. Newton's law, which fails to take time into account, was thereby expanded to the concept of a space-time continuum (see Einstein and Infield, The Evolution of Physics, 1938, especially pp. 255, 259).
From Richard B. Vowles, "Cummings' SPACE BEING...CURVED (COLLECTED POEMS,196)." Explicator 9 (Oct. 1950): Item 3.

Last edited:

Shirleyann

I hope I sized this right. I went out looking for a different florist, but couldn't find it, but found this. Hope you like it.

Camera Model: NIKON D3100
Image Date: 2012-06-25 21:12:04 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 44.0mm
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 100
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.0 Windows

Attachments

• DSC_0309_tonemapped copy_pe_pe.jpg
    DSC_0309_tonemapped copy_pe_pe.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:

Lscha

I hope I sized this right. I went out looking for a different florist, but couldn't find it, but found this. Hope you like it.

I like the way the last greenhouse creates even more curves with the barn lines.

Shoots808

Nothing is more curvy than Mother Ocean. She got the moves like Jagger...

CameraNikon D5100
Exposure0.003 sec (1/350)
Aperturef/8.0
Focal Length35 mm
ISO Speed
Date and Time (Original)
2012:06:26 06:13:20
7455651662_b77f414707_b.jpg

Kim20

These old spectacles are one of my favourite possessions. They are from the mid 1800's as far as any info that I have been able to gather. They come in an amazing leather and silver case, similar to a knife case. I decided to oh so carefully open the case, and take them out for a photo of their beautiful curves. As I was taking a few shots, the focus accidentally zeroed in on the sights behind the lenses. I thought it was a fabulous accident!

curveslight.jpg
June 28, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.