McDonald’s reveals secrets of burger primping

bluenoser

Banned
mcdonaldsburgerprimp.jpg
link

Have you ever wondered how they get the burgers on the advertisements to look so much better than what you get handed to you at the store? Wonder no more! :):

bluenoser

Banned
I'm a complete sucker for advertising! A trip to the late-night drive-through is almost guaranteed when I see a burger ad on TV! :) (much to my wife's amusement).

Eye-level

Banned
I used to be a Sonic manager long ago...we had models that they used in advertising and we used for training on how a regular cheese coney looked, how a vanilla ice cream cone looked, how a banana split looked etc...they looked so good you wanted to eat them!

Photowyzard

This little piece of knowledge is really shilling for McDonald's, right... Admit it!! Because, now, all I have on the brain is a Quarter Pounder with cheese!!!!!!

:D

Seriously, I enjoyed that, even though I am now hungry on a full stomach. Go figure.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't know how many of you folks have an "In and Out" but let me tell you, MickeyD's or any other fast food burger joint just won't be the same. Heck, even Anthony Bourdain is a fan!

Photowyzard

IN and OUT?

I think this is primarily a West coast chain. Nothing in the north, much less Canada. Locally, my fav's are Harvey's (these guys make a nice burger and fries combo!) and of course, McDonald's (Angus Burger or Big Mac pretty much hit the spot when the craving gets the better of me).

There are some better places in town, but I don't need to pay $15+ for a burger, I can do that myself when I BBQ.

SamSpade1941

I used to be a Sonic manager long ago...we had models that they used in advertising and we used for training on how a regular cheese coney looked, how a vanilla ice cream cone looked, how a banana split looked etc...they looked so good you wanted to eat them!

When Sonic was an Oklahoma only based chain it was my favorite place in the world to eat the quality of the food has dropped substantially when they went global.. I get heartburn every time I order a #1 Sonic Burger and some kid asks me what I want on it. Sighs.. Things have changes at Sonic over the years...

Last edited:

Browncoat

Has anyone seen the newest McDonald's menus? They're all white and feature calorie counts on the display.

What struck me though, was the photos. Burger joints are notorious for this "primping", but the photos on several of the items on the new menus don't look very good. The buns are crooked, and overall, just bad. I would assume that McDonald's spares no expense when it comes to this stuff, so I was very surprised to see such amateurish photos.

Pulled this off the internet:

Story.jpg

#1 The Big Mac looks lopsided.
#2 Bun is off-center
#5, 6 Look like someone dropped the sandwiches

Last edited:

Dave9072

When Sonic was an Oklahoma only based chain it was my favorite place in the world to eat the quality of the food has dropped substantially when they went global.. I get heartburn every time I order a #1 Sonic Burger and some kid asks me what I want on it. Sighs.. Things have changes at Sonic over the years...

Those were the days allright. As I recall it was #1 for mustard and #2 for mayo and relish, or was it the other way around?

The Sonic was always the south anchor for the main street drag on Friday and Saturday nights and the A&W was the north anchor. Memories :)

Dave9072

Has anyone seen the newest McDonald's menus? They're all white and feature calorie counts on the display.

What struck me though, was the photos. Burger joints are notorious for this "primping", but the photos on several of the items on the new menus don't look very good. The buns are crooked, and overall, just bad. I would assume that McDonald's spares no expense when it comes to this stuff, so I was very surprised to see such amateurish photos.

Pulled this off the internet:

View attachment 16763

#1 The Big Mac looks lopsided.
#2 Bun is off-center
#5, 6 Look like someone dropped the sandwiches

I noticed that too the other day when I noticed the new menu at our Walmart McDonald's. I was also surprised at the calorie count for the Big Mac, figured it was a lot higher.

SamSpade1941

Those were the days allright. As I recall it was #1 for mustard and #2 for mayo and relish, or was it the other way around?

The Sonic was always the south anchor for the main street drag on Friday and Saturday nights and the A&W was the north anchor. Memories :)

The #1 was Mayo

The #2 was Mustard

IIRC the # 3 was the smoke house sauce

Yes I remember the A&W in North Town well I really hated it when that went out, that was one of the real A&W drive in's that made the root beer at the restaurant. When they opened that combo store over in Tandy Town with the Long John's it was not the same thing at all. I can't speak for you Dave, but Ball's BBQ actually made a really awesome cheese burger. What I miss most about McAlester and Krebs though is all the Italian Food. I constantly tell people when you grew up eating the best Italian food in the world the Olive Garden and Johnny Carino's just does not cut it.

Eye-level

Banned
And the #4 was a double made like a 4/1, 4/2, 4/3...and the produce was prepped from scratch in the good old days, the rings were made with flour, corn meal, and vanilla ice milk not some prepackaged mixes...you had a steak sandwich, ham sandwich, fish sandwich, chicken dinner, and shrimp dinner, and 4 flavors of slush and THAT WAS ALL FOLKS! And the most important thing of all you got a plastic monkey or a plastic donkey in your straw and they actually placed the tray on your car window...I JUST WANT THE FRIGGING TRAY ON MY WINDOW AGAIN DAMN IT!!! LOL

All that being said they do a good job primping I just wish they would all stop a minute and remember about how to make a good hamburger again.

While we are on the topic of fastfood this $2 bucks a pop for pop BS is frigging BS! :)

Fast food rant over....now I am going to go make me a Hawaiian roll with deli sliced ham...from Braums! All this stuff gets me worked up and HUNGRY... LOL

SamSpade1941

Aluminum window trays ... with those big logos on them.. When I was a kid in school those were pretty popular to abscond with , not that I ever did that.

Dave_W

The Dude
Wow, memory lane here. Bob's Big Boy in the 60's still had women on stakes delivering to parked cars. What a great memory. In the same vein as the 3 gas station attendants who would come out when you rolled over that hose-like thing that caused a "ding-ding". One attendant filling the tank while the other two checked your oil and cleaned your window. I think I still have some of those Shell Station President coins they used to give out. Blasts from the past, alright

Eye-level

Banned
You know you are getting old when you can remember when cars had big blocks and no AC and carhops left the tray on your window because it was rolled down because it was frigging hot outside! The youth of today are seriously missing out on some really good stuff in life IMO... :) LOL

You all don't even get me started on BBQ...I am a BBQ fanatic!

Eye-level

Banned
Wow, memory lane here. Bob's Big Boy in the 60's still had women on stakes delivering to parked cars. What a great memory. In the same vein as the 3 gas station attendants who would come out when you rolled over that hose-like thing that caused a "ding-ding". One attendant filling the tank while the other two checked your oil and cleaned your window. I think I still have some of those Shell Station President coins they used to give out. Blasts from the past, alright

Bob's Big Boy Santa Monica BLVD I think...my other favorite hobby...hot rod cars.

Eye-level

Banned
When I lived in Tulsa I used to love to goto Billy Rays. That used to be some good BBQ

Albert G's...the best there is in Tulsa. I want to go to Texas and get some Kreuz and some Sonny Bryan's and then I want to hit Chicago and visit Lem's and Leon's. I love me some ribs and I like sweet sauce on the side. :)

Now I have to make me another ham sandwich slider...this time with some Head Country! :)