ISO testing

I know that the higher the ISO the grainier the picture but I have often wonder how far could I go before it really became apparent. Went out this afternoon and did a couple of tests. The first was in slightly overcast bright sun and the second was in a slightly darker area with different subject matter. The only processing was to resize all the photos in View NX2. Hover over the image and the first part of the file name is the ISO 100_DSC2960.JPG 200_DSC2961.JPG400_DSC2962.JPG 800_DSC2963.JPG 1600_DSC2964.JPG 3200_DSC2965.JPGHi1_DSC2966.JPG Hi2_DSC2967.JPG

Last edited:

Philnz

I viewed them in CS5 and they looked pretty good all the way through 800. Even the 1600 ones held up better than I thought they would. Anything past there you would only use for court evidence.

KWJams

In the first test I noticed ISO 100 had a definite magazine quality to it and the Hi-2 produced some grainy people. :)

Just kidding. Great examples. :cool:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I viewed them in CS5 and they looked pretty good all the way through 800. Even the 1600 ones held up better than I thought they would. Anything past there you would only use for court evidence.

You can see how your camera performs if you shoot a scene that has shadows i.e. next to a lamp that cast a shadow. You can then view that area at 100% and see how obvious the grain appears. Noise doesn't show well outdoors during daylight.