Ravelli APGL4 tripod review

John P

I see posts looking for less expensive tripods quite a bit.
Just over a year ago I had quite a bit of my camera gear stolen. My manfrotto tripod included.
My kids (three teenagers) purchased this tripod for me for my birthday. It was the best they could afford, and just wanted to cheer me up.
So I thought I would give you my experience with this less expensive tripod so far.

I used to be guilty of having the mindset that you get what you pay for in tripods. But with the Ravelli you get quite a bit for your money.
Mine has seen HARD use daily for just over a year. And is very much up to the task.

The legs are all aluminum. Even the flip locks for the legs are metal. The plastic feet are articulating, for use on uneven ground. The articulating feet unsnap to reveal integrated spikes for outdoor shooting. I really like the fact that the spikes are part of the legs, and not sold as an extra. These legs are every bit as sturdy as my old manfrotto 3021 set. And all connections are adjustable using the included allen wrenches. I have not had to make any adjustments on mine yet.

The Ravelli also comes with a ball head. Here again this cheap tripod shines. The only plastic on the entire head, is the levels. This head holds my D90 and 70-200 2.8 lens rock solid with no creep whatsoever. It pans very smoothly also. The other nice thing about this head. Is an allen head adjustment screw to take up slop in the ball joint over time. But as stated earlier. Mine has seen hard use daily for over a year. And no adjustments needed yet. But it is there when I need it. Ravelli also includes TWO quick release plates. Which is very nice, since I carry an extra body. Instead of switching lenses.

A year ago I would not have given a tripod like this a second look. But now realize that spending more for a tripod would have been a real waste of money.
It has met my needs very well. And shows no sign of letting me down. From what I have seen so far. This tripod set is the best bang for the buck that I have seen.

Here is a link to check it out.
Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Camera & Photo