My favorite model

emoxley

Some pics of my favorite little critters............. :)

Clearedforlandingmod-1.jpg

FanTailedProfile.jpg

FanTailSpreadEagle.jpg

PhotoAV8R

Very nice - especially the first one.

How are you getting these shots? What kind of remote? Do they scatter when the shutter trips?

emoxley

I really like that first shot! Did you crop it?
Yes I did. I usually crop the hummer photos so you can get a better look at the bird, instead of the surroundings. :)
PtoAV8R said:
How are you getting these shots? What kind of remote? Do they scatter when the shutter trips?
The first one is through our dining room window. For the other two, I was sitting outside in a lawn chair. No remote used in any of them. They're all hand held. We only have 2-3 or maybe 4 hummers, that we can tell, so about the only time that there's more than one at the feeder, is when one comes to run another one off. That happens in a split second, and I cant get a picture of it. At least I haven't been able to so far. When the shutter clicks, the bird will usually back up 3-4 inches, look at me, then go back to drinking nectar. Last year we had only 2 hummers (1 male & 1 female) most of the season. Towards the end of the season, we had four. We figured the other two were their babies that had fledged. They usually have just two babies at a time.

I've tried setting up on a tripod, closer than usual, to get more detail of the bird's feathers. I'll have the camera in standby and my wireless remote ready to fire a shot. But, not knowing exactly when the bird will show up, it hasn't worked out very well for me. When the bird does show up, I try to snap the pic, but it doesn't work, because by that time, the camera has gone out of standby, so nothing happens. So, I reset the standby and try again. The same thing happens. I finally give up, because standby also kills the battery(s) much faster. It's as if they know what's going on, and wait to come...........on purpose!

They are not easy to photograph. Out of 100 or more photos, I may get two decent ones. Sometimes, the head will be in focus, but the wings are moving so fast, that they cause their body to vibrate, and their body will be out of focus. And they are just so fast, that by the time I get the camera up to my eye, to focus it, they are already gone. They are amazing little critters............. :)

Eye-level

Banned

This is great! I have tried many times to no avail! They are smart they know I am up to something. I think I need to try your approach because I am able to sit about 8 feet from them (my inlaws have feeders on their back porch)

emoxley

Here's some more, since y'all like the hummers. From last year, and one from last month..............:)

ThreeQuarterRuby2.jpg

HeadTurned2.jpg

RubyPortrait46.jpg

RubyLgmod.jpg

Last edited:

emoxley

I like your pic of the little male hummer.
The males here, usually stay on the other side of the feeder, so I can't get a good picture. It's like they know what's going on. We had a bad storm here the weekend before last. You may have heard about it on the news. I haven't seen a hummingbird since that storm. I don't know what's happened to them. I know that the females should have been sitting on eggs or babies, and am wondering if the high winds destroyed them. It did blow down a bunch of trees, in a big area of the eastern part of the state. It breaks my heart that I've not seen them. I keep putting out a fresh mixture for them, hoping they come back, or at least attract some new ones. I had gotten pretty attached to Ruby and Rudy (my wife named them). We're putting out plants too that's supposed to attract them. Keep your fingers crossed, that our little buddies will come back..........