Charged battery dissipating over time without use?

lottielegge

Hey Everyone, I purchased the D3100 about 8 months ago and used it extensively for 2 months while on a family holiday. Now I only use it occasionally (maybe once a fortnight) because I am back at University. I have noticed that when I charge the battery and then don't use the camera for a while, the next time I try to use it the battery is flat. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I need to turn off or a setting I need to change to stop this happening? Or would it be best to charge the battery and only put it into the camera as needed? Thanks for your help. Lottie :)

I work with computers a lot and have learned to ask the simple questions first. Never assume anything.

I have never let my camera sit that long. MAny time I may take three or four pictures and then nothing for a week, then a few more etc and that may go on for a month and I still have power. If I plan to go shoot for a day I will recharge the battery the night before. It usually last me all day if I shoot a lot of pictures. Try charging the battery and then once a week pick it up and shoot a few and sit it down. See how long it take for the battery to die starting with a full battery.

lottielegge

Thanks for that - I feel bad for neglecting it for so long so will definitely give this a go. I agree, when I was using it all day every day on holiday, it had an amazing battery life so there's definitely no problem there :) Thanks for your advice.

fotojack

I believe it states in your manual that if you are not going to use the camera for a long period (a fortnight would be long), to take the battery out of the camera...or batteries if you're using a grip. they've been known to drain on their own if left in the camera body.

Fortnight is a unit of time equal to fourteen days, or two weeks. The word derives from the Old English fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".

fotojack

That would be where I am going wrong - thanks fotojack, that's a huge help.

You're very welcome. :)

If you could finish your profile, with a picture, perhaps, and where you live, what gear you use, etc.,...it would be a huge help to us in answering any questions and concerns you might have in the future. Thanks. :)

Unfortunatly today a battery is not just a couple of cells but contains its own logic chips to signal to the camera and charger.These circuits draw a small current 24/7 . I have a couple of batteries with good cells but failed electronics......I keep the batteries in all my cameras as they power the internal clock an important feature for me and Lightroom use.
Turning on your camera every few days will not extend the battery life but you could turn it on devery day and check the battery meter. Find out how long it takes to drop by two bars. Then charge the battery and leave out the camera for the same time ..re fit and see if you still have full charge or not.
Remember 2 batteries in a D5100 grip on a D3200 are in parallel and will self discharge faster than a single battery . Also not all EN-EL 14s are equal. Some are 1050 mAH some 1200 mAH and the ones for the P7000 will not work alone in a D3200 as they do not send out the right signal codes to the D3200

airman85b

I have learned not just with camera batteries but any rechareables after it's fully charged take it off. Don't keep fully chrarged batteries on the chrager iy shortens their life span.