Zoom Lens?

MadelineMarie

I'm going on vacation soon and want to buy a zoom lens to take with me. There seem to be a few different options but which is best? Where is the best place to buy it?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you want to take only one lens with you, the 18-200 is my favorite. There are a number of places where you can buy it, but I do recommend buying from a local dealer. A little more expensive but if something goes wrong you can talk to a real human being about the problem and they usually will help you get it solved.

Welcome to the forum.

One thing you forgot to mention is on which camera the lens would be used and what lenses have you already got for it.

Phillydog1958

I'm in agreement with Marcel and Eduard. This lens covers the entire needed focal range of the average photographer, and it won't break the bank.

Last edited:

westmill

Banned
I think if you already have the 18-55 the 55-200 would be the obvious choice. Its cheap, but it takes eceedingly good detailed pics. :)

Mike150

I think if you already have the 18-55 the 55-200 would be the obvious choice. Its cheap, but it takes eceedingly good detailed pics. :)

I agree with westmill. I have the 18-55, and the 55-200. Good for most shots. If you find you need a bit longer reach, then maybe the 55-300. In any case, when you're going out to 200 or 300, I strongly recomment getting VR

RickSawThat

For a single lens I agree the 18-200mm VRII is the one to have and use mine for vacations too. But for a longer reach zoom I love, love, love my 70-300mm VR.

bluenoser

Banned
Currently, the ultimate vacation lens (i.e. an all-in-one lens) is the 18-200 VRII However the new 18-300 VRII lens is due to hit stores at the end of June. So depending on your vacation schedule, you may want to consider this new (yet unproven) lens with better range. It costs about $150 or so more than the 18-200.

The 55-200VR is also an excellent, inexpensive zoom lens that you can't go wrong with either. However you will undoubtedly find yourself changing lenses to get a wider angle with a lens like the 18-55.

Depends on what you are looking for in a vacation lens.

*B&H is a fine place to buy photography gear although I'm not sure where you live (US? Canada? UK?)

Ruidoso Bill

18-200 my favorite best all around lens period. B&H or Adorama. You can even try ebay for a used one. The early ones have lens creep which means the barrel extends with its own weight if transported pointed down, I think the newer ones are better but mine is getting old but still works fine.

Rick M

BH is a great retailer for sure. As far as all around lens, it's the 16-85 vr for me, but I like it wide! I do understand the massive attraction to the 18-200 and I'm sure it's a great lens also. If long reach is your goal, I'd definitely check out the new 18-300. That combined with a good UW would be awesome!