Backgrounds

Eye-level

Banned
It is said that a background can make or break a photograph. That makes the background virtually as important as the subject itself. How many of you pay attention to the background when composing your pictures? As for myself I seem to get trapped into subject think and this results in some great subjects but poor backgrounds which in turn makes for a mediocre photograph. Any thoughts?

westmill

Banned
Yes ! and attention to detail helps. Is there a post sticking out of your subjects head. A piece of litter in the corner that could be removed. Using a wide aprature to get rid of an unattractive background. Bright primary colours can often distract etc. I would go along with this train of thought. A great picture can all to easily be ruined without attention to what is in the background ! :)

Back in film days I shot this wonderful photo of my wife sitting on a rock overhang with the valley stretched out below her. When I got back to the darkroom all I could see was the cigarette butt at her feet. Easy enough to take out with content fill in photoshop now but not possible to fix then. I have always payed attention to those details since.

Eye-level

Banned
I assume we are all guilty of this...I know I certainly am. It sounds sort of counter intuitive though that the background can be as important as the subject.

westmill

Banned
I assume we are all guilty of this...I know I certainly am. It sounds sort of counter intuitive though that the background can be as important as the subject.
I suppose it depends how you see it in the first place. I think you have to train the eye to see the whole frame as the image rather than simply looking at the main point of intrest. Let your eye roam around the frame and ask yourself, do i like this picture. Seeing the picture as a whole as it were. Except there is an awful lot of times when the event itself is more important and there isnt exactly a lot we can do about. When your son rides his bike for the first time.. if he does going past the garbage he does it going past the garbage, and thats that. I guess its a case of improving things only when its actualy possable. :)