Low light question

Dooku77

Is it normal for a lens to hunt in low light with focus assist beam on?

I know a lens will hunt in direct sunlight but I wasn't sure about the low light.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Yes, it is normal. However the degree and frequency of the hunting will depend on the amount of light, the amount of contrast in the area you are focusing on, the lens you are using (some are much faster/more accurate at focusing than others) and of course the camera body as some are much faster/better at it than others.

Last edited:

Dooku77

Yes, it is normal. However the degree and frequency of the hunting will depend on the amount of light, the amount of contrast in the area you are focusing on, the lens you are using (some are much faster/more accurate at focusing than others) and of course the camera body as some are much faster/better at it than others.

I thought I was going crazy a short while ago when I went to take a picture of my coffee maker in low light and I couldn't get focus. I will remember this.

I know I hunt for focus in low light! Heck I hunt for focus in good light! LOL

Lol I'll take what I can get at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye-level

Banned
Another option is to zone focus a wide angle (when shooting your coffee maker indoors in low light..lol) then you don't have to worry about it hunting down anything...it is much faster! ;)

Last edited:

Stangman98

It will hunt. What focus are you using? Is you are using the 51pt 3D tracking I would turn that off in low light and go with just the 51pt or lower.

grandpaw

As many of you know I have a Nikon D7000 Tips thread that I write and it includes a long list of TIPS that you might find helpful. If you use My TIP #19 you will be able to achieve focus lock an any stationary subject in extreme low light conditions. Please check out my thread listed below. I am going to cut and paste TIP #19 here for your convenience. Jeff

Tip #19 Having trouble with auto focus in low light
Having trouble with auto focus in low light

Ever go out at night and the light is so low you just can't get your camera to focus! Well I have a simple answer.

Here is what you do
I have had this happen a few times and have found that with your camera on single area focus point activated on the spot you want to focus on, if your camera will not focus, all you need to do is buy a laser light pen at Walmart for about $2.50 and point it at the spot that your focus point is on and the camera will lock on followed by the little green light in the viewfinder magically appearing and your shot will be in focus. This of course is for stationary subjects taken in dark surroundings but it will make your camera lock on to the focus quickly.

Remember to not point the light in people's or animal's eyes and it is probably not a good idea to point it at the sensor of your camera.

Hope this will help you out!

Mestre

Try to focus manually or if you are using ultra-wide lens, get the hyper focal table, it is very useful both in day and night light.

kshapero

As many of you know I have a Nikon D7000 Tips thread that I write and it includes a long list of TIPS that you might find helpful. If you use My TIP #19 you will be able to achieve focus lock an any stationary subject in extreme low light conditions. Please check out my thread listed below. I am going to cut and paste TIP #19 here for your convenience. Jeff

Tip #19 Having trouble with auto focus in low light
Having trouble with auto focus in low light

Ever go out at night and the light is so low you just can't get your camera to focus! Well I have a simple answer.

Here is what you do
I have had this happen a few times and have found that with your camera on single area focus point activated on the spot you want to focus on, if your camera will not focus, all you need to do is buy a laser light pen at Walmart for about $2.50 and point it at the spot that your focus point is on and the camera will lock on followed by the little green light in the viewfinder magically appearing and your shot will be in focus. This of course is for stationary subjects taken in dark surroundings but it will make your camera lock on to the focus quickly.

Remember to not point the light in people's or animal's eyes and it is probably not a good idea to point it at the sensor of your camera.

Hope this will help you out!
Really helpful, thanks

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Is it normal for a lens to hunt in low light with focus assist beam on?

I know a lens will hunt in direct sunlight but I wasn't sure about the low light.

I use my Nikon speed light and use its laser beams to acquire the subject's distance. This works a lot faster in assisting your camera in challenging situations.

Dooku77

Not all of the speedlights will be able to help with AF without the flash going off so if you plan on using it to assist low light focusing check it out before you buy one. Jeff

Was it you who had the tip about acquiring focus with a laser pointer?

grandpaw

Was it you who had the tip about acquiring focus with a laser pointer?

Yes it was me. If you go to the electronics section of Wal-Mart the Laser pointers are thirty some dollars but if you look around near the checkout counter you can get one for about $2.50 with batteries. Jeff

Dooku77

Yes it was me. If you go to the electronics section of Wal-Mart the Laser pointers are thirty some dollars but if you look around near the checkout counter you can get one for about $2.50 with batteries. Jeff

Ok thank you. In going to purchase one this week and keep it in my gear bag. You my friend are a valuable resource. :)