Sigma 28-70mm 1:2.8-4 D - Any thoughts on this lens?

Lee

I've been trawling the internet trying to see if this lens is compatible with the D90. I assumed it was but I can't find anything conclusive. Actually, it seems to be out of production now or otherwise not very readily available new. I just wondered if anyone has used one of these before and what your thoughts are.

pedroj

Hi Lee...Your D90 has an AF motor in it so will work with this lens...I see they make a 24-70mm F2.8 which I think would be more expensive then 28-70mm but would do a great job...

Lee

Thanks Pedroj

I don't mind focusing manually so that wasn't too much of a concern - I just needed to make sure that it was compatible with the camera body, so that's great. The reason I'm asking is because I was watching one out of curiosity on eBay and nobody seems to be bidding on it. It's being sold in "mint" condition, hardly used and I just liked the fact that it has a constant F2.8. I will put in a bid for it when the auction closes if it is still sitting so cheap as I thought it could be fun to play with. I have a 50 mm F1.8 AF-D and and 18-105 VR. Just awaiting delivery on my Tokina 11-16 mm now :eagerness: So as you can see it is a little different to the lenses I have offering the wider aperture on a slightly longer range. I don't think I will miss the absence of stabilization on the 70 mm and under with the F2.8. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and let you all know what happens.

pedroj

Just make sure it's for a Nikon, They make lens for most brands....
It does close down to F4 at the long end but is still a pretty fast lens...

Lee

Find a tamron 28-75 F2.8 Lee. Trust me.... a seriously good lens !

Thanks. Sorry, I never got a notification for your post for some reason. I am thinking in the future of changing my 18-105 for a couple of 'good' fast lenses. I have the 11-16 covered with the Tokina (when it hurries up and arrives!) and I am not one who believes I need every single focal length covered so I am happy with a 'gap' as it were. I will go check out the Tamron. I'm window shopping at the moment :D

westmill

Banned
Thanks. Sorry, I never got a notification for your post for some reason. I am thinking in the future of changing my 18-105 for a couple of 'good' fast lenses. I have the 11-16 covered with the Tokina (when it hurries up and arrives!) and I am not one who believes I need every single focal length covered so I am happy with a 'gap' as it were. I will go check out the Tamron. I'm window shopping at the moment :D
Well tamron do two fast standards and both are excellent. The 17-50 F2.8 and the 28-75 F2.8.
There is no silent focussing here though, they are a bit noisey. I will point out they make two versions of the 17-50 one with VR and one without. Buy the one without ! it actualy performs far better opticaly and will operate OK on a D90 :D

Mestre

I own the Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM, the actual version of the lens you posted initially and I'm very satisfied.
I had the opportunity to test the lens you are talking about from a guy in a workshop so for me the main difference is the F/2.8-4 is slower to focus and makes too much noise but has a macro ratio that is quiet interesting.

I looked a lot before buying my Sigma and compared with the 28-70 Tamron. Optically the Sigma has some issues in FX but since I'm using it on a D7000 the lens is quiet sharp. And I do miss the 24mm on the wide side, since I replaced a DX 16-85 Nikkon.
Besides, as I own a Sigma 10-20 with a Lee 82mm filter system, I wanted to keep my set as simple as possible.

I guess both lenses are good options when compared to the high cost / pro 24-70 2.8 Nikon, optically they are very good in DX. There is also a new Tamron 24-70 2.8 with VC (the first lens of this type to have this feature) but it's more expensive but all the current reviews have been great.