Lens hood

catfish

:cool: Is there an advantage to using a tulip style lens hood over a bayonet style? I will be shooting in bright tropical sunlight if that helps with the advice given.
:cool:

Thanx

AC016

A bayonet lens hood refers to the type of attachment; in other words, it is not screwed on. If you are taking wide angle shots, do not get a lens hood that is to "tall". Basically, you are wanting to prevent flare and that is done when the lens hood prevents light from hitting the front lens element from the side. If you are using a telephoto lens, you want a bit of a "taller" lens hood. What you can do, is look up your lens online and see what lens hood is recommened for it.

westmill

Banned
:cool: Is there an advantage to using a tulip style lens hood over a bayonet style? I will be shooting in bright tropical sunlight if that helps with the advice given.
:cool:

Thanx
Im not sure if i understand what you mean there. Im guessing tulip style as in cutaway sides but bayonet style sounds like the fitting.
The cutaway style ones are designed so they can be longer thus more effective without any vignetting. To use a bayonet type of fitting, your lens needs to have the correct fitting built in for attachment. If you have the 18-55 lens I believe this is missing. The only real option here as far as I know would be to fit a screw in hood. these work just fine however. You can see the filter size by checking the inside of your lens cap. If i remember correctly I think its a 52mm.

AC016

Im not sure if i understand what you mean there. Im guessing tulip style as in cutaway sides but bayonet style sounds like the fitting.
The cutaway style ones are designed so they can be longer thus more effective without any vignetting. To use a bayonet type of fitting, your lens needs to have the correct fitting built in for attachment. If you have the 18-55 lens I believe this is missing. The only real option here as far as I know would be to fit a screw in hood. these work just fine however. You can see the filter size by checking the inside of your lens cap. If i remember correctly I think its a 52mm.

Yes, the 18-55 would be screw mounted. The 55-200 would have a bayonet mount.

fotojack

Just a couple of examples of lens hoods. The two on the top left are tulip style. The top right is a plain lens hood. The bottom one is a third party rubber collapsible hood for the 18-55 kit lens.

Lens Hoods.jpg

This picture shows the bayonet mounting of the two tulip hoods, one clip on type hood, and the screw in type for the rubber kit lens.

Lens Hoods 2.jpg

westmill

Banned
Yes, the 18-55 would be screw mounted. The 55-200 would have a bayonet mount.
Ok thanks. I only know about the 18-55 because a friend bought the D3100 the other wk. I tought him how to use it and sorted a filter and hood out for him. I was a bit surprised one wasnt supplied. I think thats a bit meen of Nikon :(
I couldnt see the size of the filter thread either grrrr lol. Then i just happned to think the cap could be marked and it was.
He got vignetting at the 55mm end with his.. but its only rubber so i cut away the sides neatly lol. It works ! :)

AC016

Ok thanks. I only know about the 18-55 because a friend bought the D3100 the other wk. I tought him how to use it and sorted a filter and hood out for him. I was a bit surprised one wasnt supplied. I think thats a bit meen of Nikon :(
I couldnt see the size of the filter thread either grrrr lol. Then i just happned to think the cap could be marked and it was.
He got vignetting at the 55mm end with his.. but its only rubber so i cut away the sides neatly lol. It works ! :)

yeah, it is cheap of Nikon. They include a hood for the 55-200, not sure why not for the 18-55 kit lens. I am sure it only cost them $1, if that!