In Defense of Depth

When I got into photography in the early 70s some of my favorite photographers were the F64 club. My mentor had a 8X10 view camera and we went out and shot it at F64 and did contact prints.
There is something to be said for that technique.

westmill

Banned
Ive always been a big doff fan too. Bourne of the days of gaining enough depth from using medium format i suppose.
F16 and F22 seemed normal. My lenses stopped down to F32 but that was pushing it lol. :)

Eye-level

Banned
Oh no, I haven't even gotten over-processing out of my system yet, let alone bokeh. :apologetic:
It is perfectly OK Laura...the thread is about helping to expand our photographical minds...over the next few days I am going to shoot some snaps during the worst time of day - bright sunny noon - at f16 just for the heck of it! I may go back and reshoot the Chief... :)

I started out on Sunny 16 so I've done a lot of small aperture stuff trying to learn. I remember the first time I got a blurred background effect I was very pleased with myself...that photo doesn't have a lot of magic to me now it has become the first of many...I have drifted back to the Sunny 16 sort of mentality. Don't get me wrong I am still blasting backgrounds every time with the 105 but it was made specifically to do that I think...:)

I do a lot of f5.6 f8 f11 stuff almost all the time now (it is very hard to get the right thing and everything needed in focus when working with super thin DOF)...I don't open wide can't remember the last time I used f16...

Eye-level

Banned
OK I tested the D5K out with the 105 set at f32 and the shutter speed at around 125 and 90...a whole different effect for sure kind of edgy and rough. Just had to HDR it... :)

f32.jpg