Need some advice. Groups of people

StringThing

I hope that I posted this request in the right forum. It's been a while since I posted anything:

I'm spending a week in Edmonton on business and have been asked to be the photographer for the events that we are holding. As I'm more into landscapes and cityscapes, would you be willing to offer pointers for photographing groups of people in mostly indoor lighting? My equipment is a Nikon D3100 with assorted lenses and an SB600 flash that I can't fire off camera. I will be bringing my tripod and reflector just in case. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Stangman98

Gather people as tight as possible when shooting in groups. Looks much better when there aren't huge gaps between the people. Be nice, but be demanding. Make sure that you get your shot and don't let them wander off til you do. Be patience.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're not too far away and the group not too large, use the flash as a fill. This way you'll get nice catch light in the eyes of people. It always makes faces to look better.

jcottone45

I hope that I posted this request in the right forum. It's been a while since I posted anything:

I'm spending a week in Edmonton on business and have been asked to be the photographer for the events that we are holding. As I'm more into landscapes and cityscapes, would you be willing to offer pointers for photographing groups of people in mostly indoor lighting? My equipment is a Nikon D3100 with assorted lenses and an SB600 flash that I can't fire off camera. I will be bringing my tripod and reflector just in case. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Steve[/QUOTE
Damon is right the only thing I add is "smile"

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Damon is right the only thing I add is "smile"

My line to make sure they smile is I ask them to say "sex", I then take the first picture. Then, I tell them " now think about it". This always make them smile even more.