upgrade to d90 from D3100

viscountdriver

I have a D3100 that I like very much. I have a chance to get a D90 instead. Would it be worth my while? Will I get more out of my photography with the D90?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Could you get the d90 for cheap? If so, I would rather have the d90, just because of the in body focus motor. Which means you can use AF lenses with it, where on the D3100, you'll have to manual focus.

The D3100:
  • can do video a lot better (1080p vs 720p) and has auto focus.
  • ISO on the d3100 is also better in the upper range (12,800 vs 6,400).
  • is lighter (455g vs 620g).
The D90:
  • can do 4.5fps where the d3100 can do 3fps.
  • has exposure bracketing - D3100 does not.
  • battery life on the D90 is also better (850 vs 550 shots)
  • higher resolution monitor
  • can command flashes that have the CLS system, which is useful if you want to remote control a flash.
So basically, you're probably not going to get better pics with the D90, and unless you need to use AF lenses, exposure bracketing, or any other of those specific features, I would stay with the D3100.

AC016

Not sure what you mean by your question, "will i get more out of my photography with a D90?". What ever you get out of anything, depends on how much you put into it. If you are looking for better overall image quality, just go to the 3200 or 5100. Other than that, it all depends on what else you are wanting the camera to have. If you want faster start up time, less shutter lag, longer battery life, better viewfinder coverage (all of these are very slight over the 5100), then go wtih the D90. But, will these aspects give you better image quality? no. The D90 is a great camera, but when it comes to better specs and better image quality, the entry level Nikon DSLRs are beating it.

Carolina Photo Guy

I have a D3100 that I like very much. I have a chance to get a D90 instead. Would it be worth my while? Will I get more out of my photography with the D90?

It sounds as if you are asking whether or not the D90 will make you a better photographer.

Answer this question...

If you trade a BMW for a Porsche, will you be a better driver?

Hope this helps. :)

AC016

Thanks, that helps. I am not interested in video, have never even tried it on the D3100 but would be interested in better image quality

Video is an extra feature. Use or don't use it. No need to hate on it;) It takes nothing away from the camera. Anyway, the 3200 or 5100 would be way better options than a D90 if you are looking for better image quality.

slowpoke

Could you get the d90 for cheap? If so, I would rather have the d90, just because of the in body focus motor. Which means you can use AF lenses with it, where on the D3100, you'll have to manual focus.

The D3100:
  • can do video a lot better (1080p vs 720p) and has auto focus.
  • ISO on the d3100 is also better in the upper range (12,800 vs 6,400).
  • is lighter (455g vs 620g).
The D90:
  • can do 4.5fps where the d3100 can do 3fps.
  • has exposure bracketing - D3100 does not.
  • battery life on the D90 is also better (850 vs 550 shots)
  • higher resolution monitor
  • can command flashes that have the CLS system, which is useful if you want to remote control a flash.
So basically, you're probably not going to get better pics with the D90, and unless you need to use AF lenses, exposure bracketing, or any other of those specific features, I would stay with the D3100.
I vote D90:D

Stangman98

If you are willing to learn all the features of the D90 then yes it's a better camera body in my mind. No equipment will make you a better photographer. Only time, practice, effort, & dedication will make you a better photographer. In my mind it's like shooting pool or drag racing. The equipment is only a tool. Understand how to use that tool is what will make you better.

westmill

Banned
Thanks, that helps. I am not interested in video, have never even tried it on the D3100 but would be interested in better image quality
You wont get better image quality with the D90. If you want better image quality I would spend your money on better glass. What you will get is better build and far better scope for user alterations etc The D90 is a far more serious camera than a D3100.

Kate

Sorry to jump into this discussion, but it may be relevent to the poster's question. I have the opportunity to make an even swap for my 3100 and someone's D90. They want the higher quality video, which is something that I rarely use. I am getting more into photography and I really like the idea of having more choices of lenses to buy. What would you do?

fotojack

I'd take the D90, no question about it. Read up on the D90 and I think you'll agree that it is a much better camera. A lot of people underestimate the D90, and that's a shame, because it really is a great camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If it was me, I'd jump at this opportunity. D90 is a wonderful camera that you will love. It works with most Nikon lenses and will focus with the not so young AF-D lenses (they can be bought cheap!).

Carolina Photo Guy

Sorry to jump into this discussion, but it may be relevent to the poster's question. I have the opportunity to make an even swap for my 3100 and someone's D90. They want the higher quality video, which is something that I rarely use. I am getting more into photography and I really like the idea of having more choices of lenses to buy. What would you do?

Take the D90 to an expert and have it thoroughly checked out. I have a funny feeling that you are being played.

I hope not, but better to be safe.

Why upgrade from one out of date camera to another ?? Wait for a few months and see what the line up is that fills the 3200......to .....D800 D4 gap

Mestre

If you are on a Mega Pixel hunt, the D90 is outdated when compared to the 3200 or the 3100/5100.
However, it is a model that offers a lot more besides what was written here.

Besides the opportunity to use older AF-D lens with auto focus - you'll find good quality glass I some of these older lenses - and the bracketing (very important to get the "right" exposure, the D90 has lots of direct control buttons so using the menu is something you don't need as often as the D3100.

That will save battery, since you also have the top display where you can control better your settings. There are also the 2 control dials, a DOF control button and an extra button that can be customized, so you can shoot the D90 without any menu control.

You will be loosing 1 stop in the ISO - over 1600 noise is noticeable on the D90 - but in the end you'll have a better machine.

For the MP and ISO fans, there is always a new camera with new extra top specs, but if you want to g to an upper level know your camera and get good quality glass and the D90 is much better option.

The other issue is getting it used, check the number of shots taken.