Armor for cameras

zx7dave

Hi All - I see various "armor" being sold on ebay and other places. Does anyone use this? Does it work well? Is it well made? Can anyone post some user pictures and stories?

Farnog

Unless you are taking your camera into the harshest of harsh conditions I would regard it as a waste of money!...The D300s is pro. spec. build and sealed so well it will withstand most conditions you are likely to throw at it.

blueiron

I have seen it and it is much like an armored cell phone case; i.e. Otterbox or equivalent. Depending on one's hand and finger size, it might present a problem when trying to access some controls if you have large hands and considerable fingers.

As Farnog points out, the D300 is a stout camera and will nearly always work, but some people are compulsive over the appearance of their gear and for those obsessed with scratches and dents, the armor is worth it to them. An experienced photo-journalist usually has some of the most visibly abused camera gear in the world, while a hobbyist with a 15 year old camera, has nary a scuff on it.

zx7dave

Guys thanks for the advice...I wasn't 100% sold on these, and while I would like to hold a camera in my hands with this setup...I don't think I will spend $45 just on the off chance I like it. It does have a rugged appeal...usually my "L" bracket takes the wear when I set the camera down so I don't have to worry about damaging the bottom of the camera..I do appreciate the responses...