Official Nikon grip ordered today

Dooku77

So I finally made the decision to buy the factory Nikon battery grip today. Amazon also has the D7000 batteries back in stock so I bought one as well. Was this a good purchase or could I have safely used an aftermarket grip?

bluenoser

Banned
I think you made an excellent decision. While most people seem pleased with their aftermarket choices for the grip I've seen more than a few that had issues. I have the Nikon MB-D11 and it's an excellent, sturdy grip which I believe you will find makes the D7000 more comfortable to hold (especially with the larger, heavier lenses). Not to mention the ability to shoot in portrait orientation without bending your wrist into a pretzel! :)

Dooku77

I think you made an excellent decision. While most people seem pleased with their aftermarket choices for the grip I've seen more than a few that had issues. I have the Nikon MB-D11 and it's an excellent, sturdy grip which I believe you will find makes the D7000 more comfortable to hold (especially with the larger, heavier lenses). Not to mention the ability to shoot in portrait orientation without bending your wrist into a pretzel! :)

I was kind of nervous purchasing because of the price and then I read the description and noticed that it is made of magnesium instead of plastic. I do find that my pinky tends to slip under the camera most times and it's kind of frustrating. Thank you for responding.

Eye-level

Banned
I always try to stick with Nikon product through and through...I don't have much product haha but I have Nikon caps and filters and lenses and a Nikon lens case and a few other Nikon goodies...if I was going to buy a grip I think I would likely buy a Nikon one...

Dooku77

Whenever possible I always try to purchase the factory accessories because I know that they were made specifically for a certain product. I think I made a good choice here. It will be here tomorrow, just in time for a birthday party I will be attending this weekend.

emoxley

You done good..............
I have the Nikon grip on mine and love it. There's a night and day difference in the way it feels in my hands with the grip on. It adds weight and mass to it, which I don't mind at all. It helps to balance things when my 70-300mm lens is on at the 300mm focal length (which is most of the time).
I think you'll like it a lot. Enjoy!

Dooku77

You done good..............
I have the Nikon grip on mine and love it. There's a night and day difference in the way it feels in my hands with the grip on. It adds weight and mass to it, which I don't mind at all. It helps to balance things when my 70-300mm lens is on at the 300mm focal length (which is most of the time).
I think you'll like it a lot. Enjoy!

Have you ever taken your set up on a vacation where you had to carry it for hours? I'll be very excited to take my new gear to Disney next year.

westmill

Banned
I have both the original Mb10 grip on one camera and an aftermarket on the other. In all honesty I think I would buy aftermarket with any future purchases. Its just a grip ! It works and its solid, it looks ok and impossable to tell the differance under use. I paid about £250 for the original but just £60 for the aftermarket which also came with two good batterys ! I have enough confidence in the build of the aftermarket grip to allow myself to carry the camera mounted on a tripod flung over my shoulder. :)

Stangman98

I buy aftermarket grips. I have a flashpoint on my D80 and a Vivitar on my D300. No issues what so ever. If you can afford the Nikon I say go for it, but at the same time, don't be afraid of the aftermarket ones either.

emoxley

Dooku77 said:
Have you ever taken your set up on a vacation where you had to carry it for hours? I'll be very excited to take my new gear to Disney next year.
Yes, I have. Last August we went to the NC Zoo. Only lens I used was the 70-300mm, so it was around my neck all day. It didn't bother me. A lot of the reason of if it bothers you to carry it for a long period of time, is gonna be what strap you use. I use a Tamrac strap that has a well padded, leather neck piece on it. A lot of people like the Black Rapid straps that go across your shoulder and hangs at your side, and swings up when you want to use the camera. Have fun at Disney.......... That should be a great place to photograph.

Last edited:

Dooku77

Yes, I have. Last August we went to the NC Zoo. Only lens I used was the 70-300mm, so it was around my neck all day. It didn't bother me. A lot of the reason of if it bothers you to carry it for a long period of time, is gonna be what strap you use. I use a Tamrac strap that has a well padded, leather neck piece on it. A lot of people like the Black Rapid straps that go across your shoulder and hangs at your side, and swings up when you want to use the camera. Have fun at Disney.......... That should be a great place to photograph.

I was going to order the crumpler industry disgrace strap. It's a little pricey but I heard it is super comfortable. Thanks.

westmill

Banned
I walk around all day with a D300 gripped and a 70-210 zoom attached using nothing more than a hand grip :) Its surprisingly comfy and easy. You just slip you hand through gently and grip. I just hate neck straps lol. There are times though when Ive got another around my neck too with a different lens. You can look at it like having a high quality super zoom lol

fotojack

I don't understand this "carrying it around all day" gripe some have of carrying their camera with a grip attached. It's not like it's up to your eye all day long! Use a good shoulder strap to carry it and you won't even notice the "weight" after a while. I use the Black Rapid strap myself, and it's extremely comfortable. Then again, I personally like the heft of a heavier camera; it adds to the stability when taking a handheld shot.

Dooku77

I don't understand this "carrying it around all day" gripe some have of carrying their camera with a grip attached. It's not like it's up to your eye all day long! Use a good shoulder strap to carry it and you won't even notice the "weight" after a while. I use the Black Rapid strap myself, and it's extremely comfortable. Then again, I personally like the heft of a heavier camera; it adds to the stability when taking a handheld shot.

I was also looking at the black rapid sport with the curves shoulder pad. That I think would be comfortable.

bluenoser

Banned
That is what I'll be ordering next then. The fastening lug that attaches to the tripod mount, does it swivel/stay in place well?

Oh the lug stays in place extremely well. It screws right into the socket and there is a 1/2" rubberized washer/gasket, which goes over the lug screw and sits between the base of the lug and the tripod mount. It stays in there very tight.

Dooku77

Oh the lug stays in place extremely well. It screws right into the socket and there is a 1/2" rubberized washer/gasket, which goes over the lug screw and sits between the base of the lug and the tripod mount. It stays in there very tight.

Thank you. I believe you just sealed the deal for me to purchase that strap.