New Critique Rules

Rick M

I'm disappointed this has not taken hold, we have fallen back into the "nice pic" hole. Not really worth posting much in critique if it's just a bulletin board. I really learned allot way back when I was an amateur with good CC of my work.

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

Well, I would like to be able to critique some of the shot, but honestly, I just don't feel qualified.

I took a look at the rules and I just can't get my head wrapped around them. I know what I like

even though I may have trouble articulating the visual aspects of the inspected imagery. Lets face it, I ain't

much brighter than a cinder block! :confused:

I have completely stayed away from that section also. I am not qualified to judge either. But to be honest I was staying away anyway. We have some mean spirited people in there. You can critique and be positive at the same time and accomplish a lot more .

Rick M

Well, I would like to be able to critique some of the shot, but honestly, I just don't feel qualified.

I took a look at the rules and I just can't get my head wrapped around them. I know what I like

even though I may have trouble articulating the visual aspects of the inspected imagery. Lets face it, I ain't

much brighter than a cinder block! :confused:

We all know you are brilliant Pete, your humor is just a cover :).

I understand casual posts are desireable for many.

But..., I think a more organized critique section is invaluable for beginners and others looking for serious CC. Perhaps I am expecting (or hopeing for) too much of this forum.

I have completely stayed away from that section also. I am not qualified to judge either. But to be honest I was staying away anyway. We have some mean spirited people in there. You can critique and be positive at the same time and accomplish a lot more .

I agree completely and would expect the moderators to monitor that. THAT should be covered and enforced as general forum policy anyway.

As far as judgeing, it's more about opinions as far as I am concerned, we are all qualified to have those :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye-level

Banned
I've always had good luck with my Critique threads but I know what you mean...and it doesn't have to be geared to beginner's either because everyone has something to learn...no one is God's gift to photography except for maybe Mr. Eastman...

RickSawThat

Where are the rules and what are they?

One of the things that drew me to the site and has kept me here is the positive attitude we all share regarding each others images. We all have our own favorite subjects and styles but can appreciate each others as well.

The "likes" and thoughtful and funny comments are enjoyable and keep me logging in to see what's new. Not just for my images but for all the regulars and newbies that have become friends.

PS I mostly just post pics into Project 365, the learning forums or my gallery. I don't need you guys to critique my stuff - I'm already my own worst and most brutal critique.

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hang on, guys. We had some other things to iron out and we'll get back to "enforcing" the rules. You're right, Rick (cnyram).

Rick M

Where are the rules and what are they?

One of the things that drew me to the site and has kept me here is the positive attitude we all share regarding each others images. We all have our own favorite subjects and styles but can appreciate each others as well.

The "likes" and thoughtful and funny comments are enjoyable and keep me logging in to see what's new. Not just for my images but for all the regulars and newbies that have become friends.

PS I mostly just post pics into Project 365, the learning forums or my gallery. I don't need you guys to critique my stuff - I'm already my own worst and most brutal critique.

Agree. I think we are all on the same page with why this forum is so enjoyable. I'm really just talking about the rules in relation to the critique area only. I think if it was tightened up a bit it would have more credability and be more beneficial to those who really want serious opinions. I'm not a huge "rules" person, but that one spot does need a bit of order.

westmill

Banned
Surely it would help if there was one underneath Photos for critique for simply post your photos ! This would allow users to post pics for pleasure and fun etc or Critique. This to me has always been an obvious oversite and is something I bought up within my first wk of joining.
Everyone now has the option to protect there pictures from being copied for those with objections, in that sense.

Browncoat

There are numerous places to simply share your photos on this site: the gallery, blog, and multiple forum sections. This particular forum is for critiques only, that's why it's separated from the others.

Rules have been placed here because "good job" or "I like it" comments are helpful to no one. Anyone seeking actual meaningful input and feedback on their photos are encouraged to post them here. The rules were recently edited to include a simple format that everyone can follow. Rick is absolutely correct, it adds credibility to the feedback given, and provides a uniform standard that people can understand and relate to.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Surely it would help if there was one underneath Photos for critique for simply post your photos ! This would allow users to post pics for pleasure and fun etc or Critique.

There is more than one thread (Check out the daily photos and project365, etc.) . . . many perfect places for casual posting of photos for casual comments.

I like the current rules because everyone uses the same standard . . . the 12 points is easy enough to come up with a score. Start with 12 and -1 for what doesn't apply. or start with 0 and +1 for what does apply. simply posting, "really nice work" is not a critique and certainly does not help the poster.

I've asked the other mods if anything needed to be changed in the rules and did not get any feedback, so we're leaving it as is, because a lot of thought and effort went into coming up with this system which would be meaningful and educational if everyone gave it a chance. it's a learning experience and no one is ever too old or too perfect to learn something new.

As of right now, please read the rules, again. There are rules for the one posting the photo and for the one critiquing. We've rehashed this several times on the forum and everyone had a chance to comment BEFORE it was put into place.

So, please follow the rules so I don't have to delete posts. Thank you.

westmill

Banned
There is more than one thread (Check out the daily photos and project365, etc.) . . . many perfect places for casual posting of photos for casual comments.

I like the current rules because everyone uses the same standard . . . the 12 points is easy enough to come up with a score. Start with 12 and -1 for what doesn't apply. or start with 0 and +1 for what does apply. simply posting, "really nice work" is not a critique and certainly does not help the poster.

I've asked the other mods if anything needed to be changed in the rules and did not get any feedback, so we're leaving it as is, because a lot of thought and effort went into coming up with this system which would be meaningful and educational if everyone gave it a chance. it's a learning experience and no one is ever too old or too perfect to learn something new.

As of right now, please read the rules, again. There are rules for the one posting the photo and for the one critiquing. We've rehashed this several times on the forum and everyone had a chance to comment BEFORE it was put into place.

So, please follow the rules so I don't have to delete posts. Thank you.
Actually Yes ! You are correct about Daily Photos. Its so easily missed though and I bet a lot never even notice it. I find myself wondering, It would be a good Idea to move the two together in there order. A simple change I would have thought. Anyway... just an idea ;)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Its so easily missed though and I bet a lot never even notice it. I find myself wondering, It would be a good Idea to move the two together in there order. A simple change I would have thought.

I appreciate your ideas, but I disagree that it's easily missed. Almost all of us have our "own thread" in the daily photos section. I think jdeg has done a good job organizing all the threads, and I think you'll feel the same way after you take some time to become familiar with the environment like the rest of us have.

westmill

Banned
I think Jdeg has done an amazing job too :D Although to say its not easily missed but OK once you are familiar with the environment is a bit of a contradiction really. Its a shame you disagree, but never mind, it was just a thought :)

Eye-level

Banned
From what I have seen on a few other forums there is always heat concerning Critique categories for one reason or another.

It took me a while to figure it out but I soon realized that Daily photos and Project 365 is the category to put up your snap shots in. I think it tends to be overlooked for this because Nikonites has such a robust group of 365/52ers and those particular threads seem to overwhelm the category.

I agree with these ground rules concerning the Critique section. It is pretty simple really put ONE photo in there (with EXIF) that you want Critiqued ONCE per day not some darn snapshot that you think is pretty and want to share with everyone. Put the snapshots in Daily Photo/365.

Not to change the subject but I wish there was a General Photography Discussion category.

Browncoat

From what I have seen on a few other forums there is always heat concerning Critique categories for one reason or another.

There have only ever been a couple instances where things got heated here, and sometimes heat can be a good thing. The new critique guidelines clearly state that intent should be posted along with the original photo, because that's the root of a lot of conflict on other forums.

Not to change the subject but I wish there was a General Photography Discussion category.

There is: Learning Photography. Scroll down a bit from the sub-forums and you will find the general discussions. This used to be the "General" section, but it was expanded awhile ago to include those other sections.

Eye-level

Banned
I understand that Learning Photography is where it is at but I'm just saying that Learning Photography is not really General Photography Discussion...I think a category like that would catch a lot of the riff raff stuff (that ticks people off) like that which gets posted (inadvertently by new users mainly) in the Critique section which leads to even more riff raff from all of us members trying to be nice to people who don't think to check the rules and FAQ and don't know a damn thing about EXIF and who want to be told who knows what!

I am just a member not anything else I don't really have any interest in how everything is arranged really (I have learned how to navigate the mess :) ! ) and the forum works well enough so maybe there is not a need for something more generic or whatever.

Last edited:

Rick M

Perhaps by using the new point system you could encourage proper critiques. Lets say a critique posted within the guidelines, score and reasoning, would earn 50 experience points. With this, those that want to just say "great pic" can and those that take the time to post a complete critique would be rewarded. This might also increase participation.

Sometimes it's easier (and better) to reward than to police/monitor.

Last edited: