Next Big Purchase

Stangman98

So what's on the list of Next Big Purchase for all of you? Now that I have got my 70-200 I think I am going to start saving for a used D3 or a new D4

Mike150

Alas, no new gear for me for at least a year. Our pet Shylo has had to restart Chemo which will run for agout 10 more months. Total costs over the entire treatment would equate to a brand new D4 with lens. For those of you who are pet owners, you understand what I'm saying. At least I managed to get a new SB-700 speedlight before this all started.

Stangman98

Alas, no new gear for me for at least a year. Our pet Shylo has had to restart Chemo which will run for agout 10 more months. Total costs over the entire treatment would equate to a brand new D4 with lens. For those of you who are pet owners, you understand what I'm saying. At least I managed to get a new SB-700 speedlight before this all started.

Trust me I know. We had a lab with megaesophagus. Over $11K in 10 months. He finally had to be put down. I never cried so hard in my life.

RickSawThat

For me it's keeping my eyes open for used good high IQ lenses :)

It's all about timing of finding a good lens and timing of actually having the $.

Eye-level

Banned
I'm thinking 28 G myself...yes I said AF... :)

I've also been looking at the Quantaray Tech-10 24mm f2.8 macro...this one is utterly impressive...and CHEAP!

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

I just purchased my wife a red D3100 as a wedding anniversary gift. Personally, I'm thinking about the D600. I'm not sure, yet. It depends on how it all pans out, once it's officially released by Nikon.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For me it will be a plane ticket to get to Malta. Found out this morning that it will cost me around $2,000.00 just to get there. So I wonder if I really won or if it will just be another expense… Food for thoughts.

AC016

For me it will be a plane ticket to get to Malta. Found out this morning that it will cost me around $2,000.00 just to get there. So I wonder if I really won or if it will just be another expense… Food for thoughts.

Marcel, when you say "...$2000.00 just to get there....", i hope you meant round-trip!? Are you going Air France?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel, when you say "...$2000.00 just to get there....", i hope you meant round-trip!? Are you going Air France?

Well, I just started shopping online and got a better deal at 1,330.00. with Air Canada, Luftansa and Air Malta. The price I got the other day was with Air Malta but it was for june. The price seem to go down in September when I'm hoping to go. I still need to confirm and book with Julian Knight and preferably BEFORE I buy the ticket.

emoxley

If you've got to get your own way there, I feel like you didn't win anything. I'd have to appear ungrateful, and tell them where they could put it. But that's just me.
I just love these ads that say "if you buy this, we'll give you a free vacation in the Bahamas. Then you find you have to get your own way to Florida to the cruise ship. The only way you get the free vacation, is if you're already in Florida, close to where the ship is.

Eye-level

Banned
If someone was willing to put me up in Malta and introduce me to all kinds of photographic opportunities and I could afford the plane ticket I'd be all in. Life is short so I say travel and live it in as many places as you can go.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As much as I agree the prize will cost me something, I'm still glad to be able to attend and experience this seminar. Let's look at it another way; the 6 days session would cost me about 1975.00 $ if I was living on the island. So I figure I'm still ahead even if I have to pay to get there.

Plus, I've been in Mallorca about 2 or 3 years ago and the Mediterranean by itself is worth a lot more. I had never experienced such nice clear and soft water in my life. So for me, this will be a nice break and I take it as a gift to myself to celebrate my 60th birthday that will happen soon… Might as well travel while I can.

I will let you know how it goes and post some pics. One thing I found out though is that the pics taken there are subjected to Julien's approval before they are posted or used. There was some fine print in the contract… So I don't know exactly how this will be enforced but will find out soon enough.