New or used...

clarnibass

Hi

I'm going to upgrade my camera and decided on the D700. Prices here are higher than in USA. However, ordering by mail from USA is even higher because of tax. Locally a new D700 costs $2,800. Used ones start around $2,000 but some sell as little as $1,450. Most are in the $1,550-$1,800 range.

Here is the dillema. A friend is visiting from USA and can bring a camera from there. I am definitely not going to buy a new D700 here or from USA, but I saw there is a KIT of D700 + 24-120 lens for $2,750. Averaging the camera and lens, this is like getting the camera (new) for $1,900 and the lens for $850.

I thought I might want this lens anyway, but wasn't going to buy it for a while because of its price, since I don't use zoom lenses so often. I can also sell the lens here for around $1,100 or a bit less but it might be very difficult to sell. Then I get the new camera for around $1,650. But if I ever want the lens again I might have to pay more for it.

Then the other issue... buying new from USA essentially means I have no warrenty and I gamble that the camera I get is good. At worst case there's a serious problem and I have to pay international shipping to ship it back. My friend won't be able to check the camera or ship it back while still in the USA. The price will also be a little more than local price of both camera and lens, but this way they are both new (which probably doesn't matter much if the used camera is in good condition).

Any suggestions...?

Thanks

Last edited:

pedroj

That $2750 for lens and Camera sounds good "but" do you have to pay US tax and when it arrives in your country is there an import tax...How well do you know your friend...

If it were I, I would probably buy locally and also buy some extra warranty..Check to see if your currant lens will work on FX...

bluenoser

Banned
Why buy a lens that you aren't sure you're even going to want plus the fact you said you don't use zoom lenses very often? Seems you're only considering this option to get a new D700 in the deal. Not something I'd do.

I bought my D700 used back in March and haven't looked back! :) Not knowing all of the details of your circumstances, I'd say based on what you have said that buying a D700 in excellent used condition for $1,600 or so would be the way to go if it were me but it depends on the condition of the camera, shutter count, etc.

clarnibass

The only reasons to buy the KIT is that I will probably buy that lens eventually when I decide I want a general purpose zoom lens and the main one is to get the new D700 for about $1,750. However I found several options for used D700 in supposedly good condition for about $1,400 and will probably go with that. Thanks!

Last edited:

Curt

I bought a used D700(like new only 4k on it) with the grip, 4 batteries and a d70s thrown in for $2100. I love it, great camera.