Tripod.

Claudia!

I am looking into getting a tripod this coming week. I am wondering what to look for. I have been looking throughout previous posts and threads to learn more before making my own post. I have a few questions/concerns such as:

Which is better, aluminum or carbon fiber?
What brands are recommended?
- I have heard a lot of manfrotto, gitzo and slik.
Is it best to order online from sites such as B+H or best to go to a local camera store?
Do you need a warranty on such products, if so, are they even offered.

I have about 350-400 to spend with the ball head included. I went to the Houston camera exchange about 2-3 months ago. The sales man recommended the Manfrotto 055 series. I dont remember the exact model # but I believe it was the 055XPROB. He also recommended the 128 rc2 ball head. I would love to get everyone's opinion on these. Which model is best. It does not have to be any of these listed. I plan to use this tripod for just about everything, especially landscape and just for fun shoots with friends or family. I really want to get one within the week so I can get used to using it before the 4th of July. Houston has a big firework display. Keep in mind I am a 5'2 CLUMSY female! I have the Bumblebee 210 DL camera bag which has tripod straps. (I love this bag btw).

Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Claudia - what you need is a shorter version of the tripod.

I prefer carbon fiber tripods since they are lighter. If your budget can accommodate it, I would get the higher end line of products such as Gitzo or Really Right Stuff.

A good place to read more in choosing the right tripod below by Thom Hogan. I wouldn't go for extended warranty since these are really durable tripods and ballheads.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

RRS CF tripod and ballhead package (high end)

TVC-33S Tripod + BH-55 Pro Ballhead - TVC33S-Pro-Pkg - Kit Configuration Page

[video=vimeo;26976002]http://vimeo.com/26976002[/video]

For Gitzo, I use the Gitzo 3531S with Arca-swiss Z-1 ballhead. Both are available from B & H photo. I am 5' 9", and it is just right for my height.

If you want a cheaper Gitzo, check out the "basalt" tripods. They offer the same strudy and strong tripod but they are cheaper since they are slightly heavier.

Page 2: Tripod Legs | B&H Photo Video

These tripods will outlast anyone of us here and tend to retain their high value should you decide to sell them in the future.

[video=vimeo;8814918]http://vimeo.com/8814918[/video]

I don't have any experience with the Manfrotto but they are also well built.

Last edited:

westmill

Banned
Carbon fibre are good, light and strong ! Its a bit of a mixed bag and compromise though. A heavy tripod is better and far more stable outside.
Especialy in winds. The downside then of course is that you have to carry the thing. The ones I like, have hook underneath which you can susspend a weighted bag underneath. You then just need to carry a bag. find a few rocks or watever comes to hand. Its simple but efective and allows a lighter tripod. I use a manfrotto with heavy weight ball head. When I use it I genraly carry it with camera attached over my shoulder. It works just fine, but then Im restricted to just watever lens I have attached, because no way will I carry more on a bit of a hike :)

Claudia!

Very interesting replies. I would prefer a lighter tripod but stability is a very important factor. I know how clumsy I am. Mind you within 3 weeks of having my d7k I fell straight down. If I didn't have my camera, I could of caught my fall. I preferred to protect my camera than myself so I fell down gripping my camera closely. With that said, I would rather have something with stability than light weight. I hope to find a good combination of the two. As for the weight, for the most part, I typically have my fiance with me to help take the load off. There are times when it is just me and I would have to carry it all. The Kata backpack does help out a lot. Anyways, I would like a ball head with a quick release. Is it best to order from b+h or amazon?

Essence of Imagery;61259 triaxial adjustment head.[/QUOTE said:
I have never heard of such an adjustment head. Can you give me more details about it.

westmill

Banned
We are very like minded :) The thing with doing it the way I do it though, is its very fast. Normaly, the use of a tripod is slow and cumbersom.
The way i work is to carry the tripod with camera attached and the legs pulled out to a workable hight. As such... in an emergancy I can use it even as a sort of monopod. Its just fast and ready. You soon grow very tired of missing pics just because you need to set up etc. I should also mention its not too hard just to slip a bag over the camera even while t is on the tripod. Even the camera bag if you want padding too lol :) Everyone works in different ways though. A least its given you some thing to think about :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I like B & H photo followed by Adorama.com. They often provide free shipping.

For ballhead, I prefer either Arca-swiss Z1, Markins or Really Right Stuff.

For tripod, that's up to you to do your research and comparison based on your budget.

TedG954

Wow. For thirteen hundred bucks, can you eat the thing if you get lost in the woods? :nonchalance:

I really don't think I'll ever own a Right-Stuff tripod.

Ruidoso Bill

After doing some research and finding the model with the correct height etc, I would then look for a used one on ebay. They are not like a lens or camera body, even scuffed up a little they do the job. I bought my Manfrotto off ebay for probably 1/4th of what they cost new. I love the stability even though it is probably on the heavy side. Like already said the carbon fiber legs are lighter and still stable and strong. Just don't waste your money on a cheap one, we have all done that before.

Claudia!

Just don't waste your money on a cheap one, we have all done that before.

I have yet to purchase a tripod for that exact reason. I did not want to rush into it and just waste my money.

I would also like to know what should I look for in a ball head. I doubt they are all the same. Are there certain requirements that I need to look for in regards to my specific camera model. I know one of the main things is too find one that is strong enough to handle the biggest lens I plan to purchase. So far the biggest is the 200 mm. I might upgrade to the 300 mm.

fotojack

My D200 weighs a lot with the MB 200 attached to it. Then, add the weight of my heaviest lens, the 55-300, and it all adds up. The ball head I use on my tripod is the Manfrotto 496RC2. Plenty strong enough to handle all this weight and remain rock steady.

slowpoke

Check locally for second hand.I got my Husky for $30.00 .It'll never break,best money I spent.If it's scuffed up,makes you look more professional.LOL Good luck.

Claudia!

Check locally for second hand.I got my Husky for $30.00 .It'll never break,best money I spent.If it's scuffed up,makes you look more professional.LOL Good luck.

LOL... good point. One of the added perks!

I still have yet to decide which one to get. I have been doing my non-stop addictive research for a few days. I think it is best for me to go to the Houston Camera Exchange for a more hands on experience.

I added a link below of a giottos tripod + ball head that I am interested in. The price is reasonable enough for me.

Amazon.com: Giottos VITRUVIAN VGR8255-S2C 5-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with Arca Style Quick Release Ball Head, Maximum Height: 62.6in, Folded 15.6in, Load Capacity: 8.8 lbs.: Camera & Photo

The following link is of the manfrotto 055xprob pro tripod. I found it a few dollars cheaper. All I would have to buy is the ball head, which I can do at my local camera store.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055...UTF8&qid=1340274599&sr=1-1&keywords=manfrotto

Buying a tripod + ball head is a very tough decision. I am so new to all of this that I don't know what to look for, especially with the ball heads (such as, are there certain ball heads that will or will not fit my camera or is it a one size fits all). Thankfully, I have the time to do the research. Right now I am leaning towards the giottos listed above. I really do prefer to go to a local camera store and get a feel for the weight, height and usage in person. The pictures and everything I am reading just is not enough.

Thank you.

slowpoke

That first one may cost more but it will last you longer than the second one.Like you said get the feel of the tripod and maybe see if the tripod will take the wieght of your camera and longest heaviest lens mounted on it.Will everything be totaly secure?My tripod wieghs a ton,but I know it will hold my 650-1300mm lens,D90 and battery grip secure.In short get a tripod that works for you and your equipment,that you will be happy with.All the Best, Joe

Claudia!

I finally went back to the camera store today. At first, I thought that I was more lost than so I came home empty handed. I would rather make a choice that I am sure is the right one. I have narrowed it down to 2 tripods. I have decided on the 498 rc2 ball head. I have at least made one choice!

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 4-Section Pro Carbon Fiber Tripod without Head: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber 4 Section Tripod with Q90 Column and Magnesium Castings (Black): Camera & Photo

Amazon has a mounting plate for 18.00. Is this a necessity at the moment or is this a necessity down the road.

I am leaning towards the 190 because of the price but I would rather make the smartest purchase. I am still holding out in hopes that I will find a reasonable price on a used tripod. It seems that when I was not looking to buy a tripod, both of these where constantly on sale for a reasonable price. It seems that amazon has the best prices as of right now. My camera store was charging a lot more for each of these products. If I order online, I am saving a little over $100. I am short and want something that I do not have to adjust as much. I guess the main thing that I need to decide on is price, height and size. The 055 is longer when folded but is obviously a few inches taller. It is also about 100 more. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tripods. If so, what is your opinion on the height of it and it's ease of use? (BTW, I am a little over 5'2)

Thanks!