Which 50mm?

clarnibass

Hi

I will probably be getting one of the G 50mm lenses (or a Sigma if I can actually try it and see it's good). I looked at some comparisons and it seems the f/1.8 is a bit sharper but the f/1.4 is better at 1.4 :)
It will replace my current non-Nikkor f/1.4 lens.

I sometimes use ISO 3200 at f/1.4 and often get borderline shutter speed (i.e. just fast enough and sometimes not). Hopefully with my new camera I will be able to use higher ISO. 3200 is already borderline most of the time on my camera and my new one should be at least one stop better (i.e. 1600 on my current camera looks somewhere between 3200 and 6400 on the camera I'm going to get).

Is the 1.8G significantly better than the 1.4G at 1.8?

Thanks

The 1.8 is supposed to be sharper than the 1.4 ..but why do you want one anyway ?? all this changing lens stuff is rubbish get a 18-200 zoom..always on always ready..throw the lens cap away ( sign of an amateur )

clarnibass

I want one because I need the bigger aperture and 50mm is the best focal length for what I need. I won't change lenses very often. A 18-200 lens wouldn't help me.

Eye-level

Banned
Generally speaking none of the 50s are worth a damn compared to other FL...at least IMHO...but I like Bukitimah suggestion of the 1.8 AFD. It is good enough compared to the other 50s, it is AF, and like he said it is cheap!

You want another good one try the manual focus Nikkor 50/1.8 NOT the Series E 1.8...it is just as good as any 1.2 or 1.4...I've also heard very good things about the macro Nikkor old school lens around 55mm I think.

Last edited:

Bukitimah

Jef, bukitimah is a he, Victor to be exact. 50 mm is ok for DX camera but indoor a little tight IMO. I once owned a manual lens. It was super sharp but I eye sight is not great so I prefer AF more.

Eye-level

Banned
My bad Victor...I'm sorry for that. I think Bukitimah makes me think Fatima for some reason...what is the meaning of the word if you don't mind?

My eyesight sucks!

Bukitimah

Jeff, before I could respond, you already guess correctly it is Bukit Timah. I have always wanted to register my nick as Victor but being such a common name, I never get the chance. Since I stay in Bukit Timah area, why not use that.

No Bigfoot here in Singapore but do have a few wild boar lately that have caused some commotions. Beside monkeys, you don't get to see any non human creatures around our concrete jungle.

clarnibass

Thanks for the suggestions. I do the need the 50mm lens the most as opposed to anotherfocal length lens and would really prefer an AFS lens. I will see if a store has all of them and so I can try them. Thanks.