New photographer looking to get my first dslr

ruckus09

Hey shutter bugs so I'm looking to buy a new camera. I am looking for a NIKON. I am a web designer and I work with the boy scouts and civil air patrol where I web design for both orgs and my frat.

Any way the three orgs would like me to be their photographer. I would like to buy a NIKON like I said earlier. And all I know for sure is that I want it to have the continuous shooting feature. Money is not really an issue but I would not buy the most expensive camera just for the sake of buying an expensive camera. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks in advance and if I posted this in the wrong section I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there and welcome to Nikonites.

How did you decide you want a Nikon? A good place to start would be the Nikon 3200 but not knowing exactly what type of photography your doing it's difficult to say for sure. Also, the camera body is one thing but you will also have to consider which lens or lenses you wish to purchase with your camera. Many, many choices and options depending on your preferences, circumstances and goals.

fotojack

Start with the D90 and a couple of good lenses, like the 18-55 VR and the 18-105 VR. This should serve your purposes very well.

ruckus09

Ive always preferred NIKON over canon. For no real reason. All of my point and shoot cans have been NIKON. I had one HP which pretty much blew up on me and my canon just stopped working. My nikons have always gotten the job done.

Eye-level

Banned
I'm like you I shoot Nikons but I know about some pretty damn cool Canons too...this one is 40 some years old and still shooting like a sniper rifle...so you have to be real careful with making generalizations...except for you can say a Nikon will never let you down anytime you want to say it! :)

Get a D51K!

Canonet.JPG

Last edited:

ruckus09

Oh and I will be taking pictures of things like parades graduations camping trips ceremonies parties classes. Things of that nature.I was looking at the d3100 which one of my frat bros has and I've used so I know for a fact that i can use that but then I saw a d5100 and i want to know what's the deal with that and I don't really know where to look to get the specs. If i can get something that can handle taking pictures of the events I said earlier has continuous shooting and possibly cheaper than the 3100 I would be set.

sidewinder1009

then i recommend you get a nikon d5100 and 18-105VR lens i recently got a 5100 and its leaps and bounds better at tackling noise than the D3000 and 6 more mega pix, the 18-105 VR gets me much sharper images so you can get good portraits as well as group shots and the VR has let me take some pictures down to 1 second if im careful but most of the time 1/10 sec so if light is low you can get brilliant shots still.

Dooku77

I sold my Canon 50D 2 months ago and just purchased the D7000. I really love the ergonomics of Nikon cameras and the menus are great. Oh and Nikon picture quality is excellent. I purchased this particular model for its advanced features and to cover some sporting events. If your new to DSLR, the 3200 or 5100 are great places to start or a nice D90. Amazon has those relatively low priced now. Good luck.

emoxley

Since you said that the money isn't a big deal, I say get the D7000. It's one of the best out there in low light situations. It also has the built-in motor, so you'll be able to use about any lens that Nikon has made (may be more important in the future, when you start buying lenses). It also has the AF adjustment, in case you ever need it. It has two memory card slots too. I'm a big believer in "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". So, I say to get the better camera to start with. It's an awesome camera. You'd have to get a very expensive pro model, to get a better one............ :)
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

emoxley

Start with the D90 and a couple of good lenses, like the 18-55 VR and the 18-105 VR. This should serve your purposes very well.
Not to be picky, but.......... doesn't the 18-105mm VR cover the exact same range as the 18-55mm VR, and even more? So, why buy both? :D