Friday Sunset Photo Cruise

Red Earth

Nowheresville..... There is a town just like that here Oklahoma..... 2 miles south of God's Country. They always offer beautiful photo ops in my opinion. Great shots, especially the stormy sky!

Eye-level

Banned
Cool Will! I have been studying various ways of internet marketing pictures. That one is interesting...200 bucks for a canvas how much of this does the photographer receive? Microstock seems like a waste of time and a miscarriage of justice. Stock photography is crazy. Some folks are somewhat successful with long time established websites and I assume tons of contacts. Fascinating stuff...

Will V|Photography

There's a guy on NikonCafe who has been doing microstock for a couple years and chronicling it in a thread. It's taken him a while to start making decent "side money" :\ I'm signed up on ShutterStock but haven't uploaded anything yet. On 500px I thought the canvas was $170 but still most of that covers the print and logistics. The photographer receives ~$40 off each sale. It's nothing amazing, especially given the sale price, and I haven't come close to selling anything yet. There are some amazing photos on there. In the end though, it can't help to not throw a line out there and hope to catch a bite. Thanks to Facebook I'm going to be doing my first restaurant shoot here shortly. It can never hurt to put your work out there, especially as an up-and-comer. The more exposure the better IMO.

Eye-level

Banned
Somebody was telling me the other day to avoid microstock like the plague. The logic was why sell your image for $1 - ask for $500. If your microstock image is used 100 times you get $100...if you sell 100 of the $500 prints you get $50000.

I'm with you though on throwing a line out and hoping to get a bite. Even if you caught a small fish you still caught a fish.

Will V|Photography

You just have to shoot a LOT to do microstock and it's not going to be as easy finding 100 people to buy a $500 print. I don't have too much experience with either though, so I'm really not one to talk. :rolleyes: