Taking indoor pictures

arsalann24

So I took some indoor pictures the other day for a wedding with my 18-55mm lens (RAW+F images). Some of they had quite a bit of noise and I wasn't sure how to go about fixing those. I was thinking that I could touch them up on photoshop but I wanted to make sure that my settings were right on the camera. Do you think it may help using the "indoor party" effects built into the camera? Also, I took the pictures on "Auto" settings so that could be it as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick M

Auto indoor flash shots with the D3100/D5100 will result in very high ISO numbers. You should Set the ISO and shoot in a "P" mode, or perhaps aperature priority to avoid this "flaw".

arsalann24

Auto indoor flash shots with the D3100/D5100 will result in very high ISO numbers. You should Set the ISO and shoot in a "P" mode, or perhaps aperature priority to avoid this "flaw".

So I went to another event and ended up shooting in "P" mode and boy it made a difference in some places. Thanks again for the input I'll try putting up some pictures of "auto" vs. "p".

Rick M

So I went to another event and ended up shooting in "P" mode and boy it made a difference in some places. Thanks again for the input I'll try putting up some pictures of "auto" vs. "p".

Glad I could Help, remember also to take ISO off auto and set it to a specific number (say 400) for indoor shooting with flash.

WhiteLight

Glad I could Help, remember also to take ISO off auto and set it to a specific number (say 400) for indoor shooting with flash.

Wish i had read this a couple of weeks earlier :p
i had my great grand mum stay over for a few days & dad wanted me to take some family pics.
Though i have been using A mode almost all the time & P mode a couple of times, i didn't want to screw up and took fotos on auto mode.
the damn thing shot all the fotos at 3200 ISO!!!
the fotos are not bad but am sure the IQ could have been much better at a lower ISO.
felt like kicking myself for not paying attention :)

sidewinder1009

you can limit auto iso in the settings menu even for auto mode but i would never use auto mode unless i give my camera to someone to take a picture of me at a tourist attraction.
P mode with the other settings set yourself is much better if you aren't sure :) P* is good with the wheel also for quick shooting

Eye-level

Banned
Look on the bright side at least you know a little more about ISO now so maybe the next time you'll do better. As a general rule I shoot ISO 200 outside and 400 inside although my outdoor portraits from last weekend were made at 400 because I had been doing indoor work the night before and forgot to check my settings...common mistake...checking your settings every time you shoot is a good habit to try and form!

Rick M

Wish i had read this a couple of weeks earlier :p
i had my great grand mum stay over for a few days & dad wanted me to take some family pics.
Though i have been using A mode almost all the time & P mode a couple of times, i didn't want to screw up and took fotos on auto mode.
the damn thing shot all the fotos at 3200 ISO!!!
the fotos are not bad but am sure the IQ could have been much better at a lower ISO.
felt like kicking myself for not paying attention :)

I learned the hard way too! After seeing the numbers I started researching it and Nikon considers that normal. There are a few threads in here discussing the high ISO selection.