D5100 Filters

arsalann24

So question about filters, When would you mainly use them (purpose of one) and which would you recommend? I have 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses and I've heard that filters can be useful in some circumstances, so I needed some input.

Thanks

eurotrash

Honestly I've found that a nice polarizer filter is most useful for deepening colours in my experience. Nd filters useful for long exposures in daylight for waterfalls and things.

Rick M

Hoya, B+W are the most popular, both have advantages/slight differences. They all have entry level and advanced versions, $70-$100 should get you a decent filter. Get the best you can afford, you do not want to go cheap on filters!

Rick M

Also, as I learned from others here, fit it to your largest lens and buy step down rings so you can use it on your other lenses.

eurotrash

Yes, hoyas are good. And also I agree about the step down rings. Always buy the best you can afford and if you can't afford a good one, keep saving until you can.

arsalann24

So I bought myself a rocketfish filter (probably not the best one out there, but its what I could afford plus a get a discount through best buy) but anyway. I bought one for the 18-55mm lens I have which has a diameter of 52mm. So I bought a 52mm filter, however the filter does not fit do you have to buy one size bigger or is it just that the rocketfish ones don't fit onto these lenses?

fotojack

So I bought myself a rocketfish filter (probably not the best one out there, but its what I could afford plus a get a discount through best buy) but anyway. I bought one for the 18-55mm lens I have which has a diameter of 52mm. So I bought a 52mm filter, however the filter does not fit do you have to buy one size bigger or is it just that the rocketfish ones don't fit onto these lenses?

Doesn't make sense. A 52mm filter will fit a 52mm lens. You do know that it screws in, right? What exactly do you mean by it does not fit? How does it not fit?

Patrick M

I have an UV filter on every lens. It's really for safety. If I scratch a lens, it's an expensive repair. If I scratch a filter, I can throw it away.

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AC016

Are filters an absolute necessity?

It really depends on what "type" of effect you want to create on your photos. Using a UV filter on your lens is a good idea simply because it protects the front element of your lens. Would you rather replace you lens that may cost $600, or would you rather buy a new filter for $20. There are "Filter Effects" that can be used on the D5100; though, they seem a bit gimmicky, but they are there. in regards to what filters to actually get and why, i am sure there is info somewhere on here.