Weekly Challenge June 17 - June 24: "Simple"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser

Banned

Stopping to smell the flowers by bluenoser23, on Flickr

Weekly Challenge June 17 - June 24: Simple

Can this challenge really be that "simple"? Absolutely! Teachers love to tell you about the KISS principle: "Keep It Simple Stupid" (no one is calling you stupid however! lol!) The idea of course is that the best answer is often the one that is right in front of your face - you just have to have your eyes and your mind open to seeing it.

So what do I want to see with this week's "simple" challenge? I would like to see how YOU interpret the meaning of simple. The simple pleasure of a nice cup of coffee, or a beautifully simple flower in your backyard, perhaps a simple moment of joy captured between friends or family...the possibilities are endless!

Now just because the theme is simple doesn't mean I want you to just throw anything together. The winner - as always - will be chosen in part based on criteria such as impact, creativity, technical excellence, story telling, etc. (see the 12 elements of a merit image below).

These challenges are designed to help you grow in your photography skills and creativity, and also to have fun. Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on June 24th (12:00pm - noon - EDT)...so get those photos in and most importantly - have fun!!!! :D

The Rules

1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
3. Challenges will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge, unless otherwise indicated.
5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator***. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

***PRIZE!!!!! Not that anyone needs any more motivation to enter these great weekly challenges :)....but.....the boss has informed me that we have a Nikonites hat, t-shirt, and mug left in the prize cupboard! So our lucky winner will get either a Nikonites hat, t-shirt or mug (their choice) for winning this challenge!!!! Woot-woot!!!!

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
re: Weekly Challenge June 17 - June 24: "Simple"

I have some t-shirts left too - edited that in for you ;)

Carolina Photo Guy

Simplicity...

Usually the first things learned by a child.

"A" is for...

Apple.jpg

An apple a day...

Always give an apple to your...

Enjoy.

TedG954

I like to get in early. As I sat and pondered, while drinking my six-bean hand-ground espresso, I tried to think of something clever for "Simple". I stared at the verticals as the sun streamed in.... eureka!

Morning Light '12.jpg

At The First Sign Of Early Morning Light (Sicilian Septet)

At the first sign of early morning light
there is something strange and incandescent
that is disposing of the darkest night
and when it is over, suddenly spent,
my very own eyes have got the first sight
of a new day that is from heaven sent
and everything is crystal clear and bright.

A poem by Gert Strydom

Last edited:

Shirleyann

A simple way to tag your cords. Save your tabs. Use a marking pen. This wasn't my idea, it's my idea of simple.

DSC_0289.JPG
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3100
Image Date: 2012-06-18 04:09:03 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 24.0mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 220
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6000.16386

Last edited:

westmill

Banned

How about a simple boat ? The Enterprise !!!!!_IGP4994 - Copy.jpg
If you could zoom in you can see the oar locks ! Honnest you can realy... Im not cheating :D

Shirleyann

I have too. A fast way to find the right cord . I use to put tape on them. ;)

Shoots808

Such a simple thing... A chunk of broken old brick and mortar from a mystery structure. Long ago discarded, and now part of a makeshift breakwall protecting homes from incoming tides.
A rush of seawater covers it's simple appearance and transforms it into something alive with color, reflections, and purpose.

011.NEF1_2_3_tonemapped by Oldskewl808, on Flickr

RickSawThat

Simple beauty, Simple sparkle in the eye, Simple sort of allure

Street Photo candid shot

simple_challenge-imp.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

i wish to join. how can i upload my photo? tnx.

Simple, just click on the "Reply to Thread" on top, and when the reply box opens, use the menu in the grey area on top, click on the third icon from the right:
capt.jpg

From there, another dialog box will open to let you select the file from your computer.

Just make sure to reduce the size of file either by reducing the "dpi" or the actual pixel size.

Hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.