Winner Announcement: "Architectural Oddities" Challenge

bluenoser

Banned
Great stuff everyone! Thank you to those nine intrepid folks who braved the photographic waters to take up the "Architectural Oddities" Challenge!

I really enjoyed seeing the unique perspectives each of you took in interpreting this challenge and of course I found the actual things you captured to be very interesting as well.

As always we had a quite a varied crop of worthy entries which made it very difficult to choose a winner! (that's a nice problem to have though! :))

Let me provide a top-3 list of sorts of my favourite images out of this very strong field of entries:

#3 - Old Fence by Kim20: (click HERE to view the entry)

As so many others agreed, your entry of this beautiful old fence was wonderfully captured and indeed was an eye catching structure. Well done!

#2 - Old school Hawaiian Hale by Shoots808: (click HERE to view the entry)

The primary reason this particular entry landed in our second spot was due to it's increased sense of being "odd" - greater impact in that regard on the viewer. I found this old Hawaiian hale hut to be particularly interesting and far removed from the ordinary. It certainly captured my interest immediately. Thank you for sharing this!

Without further ado....our first place finisher:

#1 - "Natures Architecture" - by Philnz

11738d1338869967-weekly-challenge-june-3-june-10-architectural-oddities-dsc_2611.jpg

What can I say? I loved how Phil stepped out of the conventional thinking and choose a natural oddity rather than a man-made one. Furthermore - it is very ODD looking!! A very interesting looking compilation of mushrooms (?) with a stunning colour and fabulous looking shape.

So based on "Impact", "Creativity" and "Subject Matter" (3 of the 12 elements I used in judging), Phil distinguished himself from the crowd.

How about giving everyone a bit of insight into how you managed to choose this as your entry and how you stumbled across this particular find!

Please join me everyone in congratulating Philnz on his winning entry!

Last edited:

miknoypinoy

congrats Phil. . .how could 100 smurfs be wrong lol. . . great thinking out the box. . . congrats everyone else. . .

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

Philnz

Thank you all for the lovely comments. What can i tell about the photo? Well like most of us I am always on the lookout for a good photo, we were out for a drive and we saw these Fungi under a hedge. Out with the 5100, 18-200 lens lay flat on the road and fire of a few quick shots, before I get run over. I like to think that I am sometimes able to "think out of the sq" and when I saw what the challenge for the week was. I thought this one will push the boundaries a little give it a go. No post editing. This was going to be my entry for last week but have been away and got back to late to put it in. Never mind

"Honey we Shrunk the Kids"
DSC_2852_resize.JPG
Thank you all once again, I do love the weekly challenge
Phil

Shoots808

Nice shot Phil! Congratulations. It was a pleasure to take part in this fun opportunity. I look forward to more of these challenges in the future. Keep up the great work gang.