Pelican bag suitable for air travel?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
We are heading to San Diego, California from Japan this July. I can't seem to figure out which bags to carry with me. I would like to bring my pelican bag but I'm afraid I might experience some trouble with the weight restrictions. My other alternate choice is my Lowepro sling bag but I don't like slings anymore especially when carrying my heavy f2.8 lenses.

Any advice or recommendations for travel? Based on your experience, which bag provides a better way to travel with your camera equipment? I don't mind getting another bag. :D

gear_2.JPG

gear_1.JPG

My other sling bag which can accommodate a laptop. LOWEPRO AW 350

Older picture

Lowepro_AW_350.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
If it is going up in a plane I think I would only accept the Pelican...wouldn't trust any baggage handler anywhere in the world with my crap...in fact I would probably have my stuff in my carry on!

Mestre

When I travel I use a Kata bag almost like your Lowepro, I don't trust my stuff being managed as hold luggage. Besides, there is always the risk of being robbed and that will ruin the journey, so I like to have my gear under my eyes.

westmill

Banned
The pelican if its going in the stronghold but I would have the slingshot with me as personal luggage... Im in the same frame as Jeff here lol :D

Mestre

If you can carry it as hand luggage, it will only depend on the gear you want to take with you. I, for example, don't have enough stuff to fill that bag :)

Mike150

I don't ever plan to fly again. If I can't drive to it, I'm not going.

I do have a friend who packed his Laptop, and extra camera gear (kept a body and one lens with him). He then shipped it Fed-Ex to the hotel where he was staying (signature required). When he arrived the next afternoon, all his gear was waiting for him. He then shipped it home the day he flew back so it was delivered home the next day. Most hotels will do this, but check with them in advance.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't ever plan to fly again. If I can't drive to it, I'm not going.

I do have a friend who packed his Laptop, and extra camera gear (kept a body and one lens with him). He then shipped it Fed-Ex to the hotel where he was staying (signature required). When he arrived the next afternoon, all his gear was waiting for him. He then shipped it home the day he flew back so it was delivered home the next day. Most hotels will do this, but check with them in advance.

That is a clever idea but I just can't seem to take that "risk" especially the value of my equipment is rather high. I'll be more comfortable or at ease if it is within eye sight.

BTW: I edited my post. I am traveling from Japan and not state to state.

Phillydog1958

I purchased a Lowepro Fast Pack AW 350, which is very similar to the original poster's Lowepro Sling AW 350 bag. It can carry ALL of my gear and has a slot to carry a macbook Air or an iPad. I can't imagine checking my camera gear and not carrying it on with me. I'm sure the Pelican can securely hold your gear and allow it to be safe, when checked in. It's just that if I can't carry it on, it's not going to be checked in. I just don't trust the method by which checked baggage is handled.

Last edited:

slowpoke

I just did 2 trips from Canada to Mexico last month.All my gear that I needed I loaded into my Lowepro 300 slingshot AW.It went with me onto bothe planes as carry on.I slid the Lowepro under my set.You will do the same with your Pelican bag,but put it in the over head,above your seat.Your equipment never leaves you for a second.:D
FYI.It would be wise to go to the airport now and fit your Pelican bag into one of the over head bag holders,to make sure it fits.These are located at the checkin desks.OR check with your airlines for any restrictions reguarding carry on bagage.All the Best.

My vote would go to the Lowepro AW350 bag, as it is capable of carrying everything I use AND being carried on instead of checked.

Nikon D300
MB-D10 grip
SB-800 flash unit
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikkor 24mm f/2.8
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 (macro @35mm)
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 (alphabet soup edition)
Nikkor 2x teleconverter
2 extra Nikon batteries
8 CF cards (4x4 + 4X8GB)

This bag also fits my MacBookPro 13" laptop...

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just did 2 trips from Canada to Mexico last month.All my gear that I needed I loaded into my Lowepro 300 slingshot AW.It went with me onto bothe planes as carry on.I slid the Lowepro under my set.You will do the same with your Pelican bag,but put it in the over head,above your seat.Your equipment never leaves you for a second.:D
FYI.It would be wise to go to the airport now and fit your Pelican bag into one of the over head bag holders,to make sure it fits.These are located at the checkin desks.OR check with your airlines for any restrictions reguarding carry on bagage.All the Best.

Thanks for the info. The Pelican's dimensions are 22 x 9 x 13.8 inches ; 13.6 pounds. The measurements meets the airline's carry-on luggage requirement. What I am worried about is once we reach LAX and we have to take a connecting flight to San Diego (our final destination), we will end up with a smaller commuter plane. Based on previous experience, these is the point where I will be required to have it checked-in on the tarmac prior to boarding the plane since most have smaller overhead bins.

slowpoke

Thanks for the info. The Pelican's dimensions are 22 x 9 x 13.8 inches ; 13.6 pounds. The measurements meets the airline's carry-on luggage requirement. What I am worried about is once we reach LAX and we have to take a connecting flight to San Diego (our final destination), we will end up with a smaller commuter plane. Based on previous experience, these is the point where I will be required to have it checked-in on the tarmac prior to boarding the plane since most have smaller overhead bins.
Definatly the 350 AW lowepro,is your best bet for the small plane.Just pack what you will need.Have a good trip.

Patrick M

If you're checking it in, use the pelican. Assess it's value with the gear and get it separately insured!

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD