Best tablet for viewing/showing photos....

RickSawThat

What do you think is the best tablet for viewing and showing photos on?

New iPad
iPad2
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
or.....

Portability matters but quality of the image matters more to me.

Can you actually see a difference between the iPad2 and New iPad?

Need advice please.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm glad you asked since I'm on the market too. I wonder if I shouldn't just get a good laptop instead of a tablet though?

Phillydog1958

The the latest version of the iPad (Retina display) has a screen that is a true visual experience, and do I have to mention the portability factor?

RickSawThat

I'm looking for the light weight device to take out to be able to use as an electronic portfolio. Not to edit or PP images. Mostly to show images when appropriate.

Phillydog1958

I'm looking for the light weight device to take out to be able to use as an electronic portfolio. Not to edit or PP images. Mostly to show images when appropriate.

The latest iPad fits your needs perfectly. I apologize for being an "Apple" guy, but I think they make fine products.

RickSawThat

The vast majority of my images are B&W portraits. Screen brightness and contrast will make or break the quality of the image. Do you notice a significant difference between the iPad2 and the New iPad that you can actually see?

Does anyone else use a Android based tablet and feel that is a better choice for showing images? I am open to either operating system..

Currently use a macbook pro laptop but an Android cellphone :)

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

The vast majority of my images are B&W portraits. Screen brightness and contrast will make or break to quality of the image. Do you notice a significant difference between the iPad2 and the New iPad that you can actually see?

Does anyone else use a Android based tablet and feel that is a better choice for showing images? I am open to either operating system..

Currently use a macbook pro laptop but an Android cellphone :)

You should go to Best Buy or some other large format electronic retailer. Play with a display model and see for yourself. I'd suggest you compare it to the other products that you are considering, including previous iPad versions. All, I can say is that the the retina display is a fine benefit that is an eyeful.

miknoypinoy

I'm wondering the same. . . I went to best buy and logged on to nikonites on an iPad 2 retinal display. . . even though the site doesnt show the full size image , it was still amazing. . . didn't look at the galaxy though. . . I'll have to do that next time. . .

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

Geoffc

I recently went through this along with my wife. We wanted apple as we have iPhones so we can share apps between them and each other ( the latter is legal for those not familiar with Apple).

I took my camera to the apple store and asked them if I could transfer photos using the camera connection kit. It transferred raw and jpg no problem. It also displayed the raw and jpg perfectly. In fact I reckon it is the fastest way of reviewing raw which is pretty much all I shoot.

We compared the iPad 2 and 3 for image quality. The iPad 3 is slightly better but not jump out and slap you in the face better for looking at dslr pics unless you zoom in. For other requirements it may be a lot better. If you just picked up an iPad 2 without comparing it you would be impressed. I would have got a 2 but they didn't have 32gb at the time and I concluded 16gb was too small.

A week later my wife got an iPad 2 64gb. We have compared them side by side with the same images and both are good. If money is no object get a 3. If you're on a budget put any spare cash into memory.

Either of these iPads have made all of our pics plus the sites we view on the web look ten times better. Pictures i thought were average now look great. Maybe it just highlights the limitations of a pc screen.

Another thing to consider is calibration. I recently bought a spider to calibrate our PCs. You can actually use it on the iPad of a fashion. Essentially you can view images calibrated using the spider app. This would be handy for showing portfolio or "as" printed stuff.

Yesterday I bought the apple tv unit. It's a little box that plugs into the tv and allows you to mirror your iPad or iPhone to it, including images over wireless. We can now sit on the couch and review our pics together on a hd tv.

In summary I'm really pleased with the iPads (1 and 2) and we got them primarily for photo related activity.

The other thing I intend to use it for is reviewing images in the field when I won't easily get a chance to go back and re-take it.

One thing to remember. If you transfer from PC/MAC to iPad it will compress the pics a bit. I still have good quality but not original quality. If you want full quality you need an add on app to transfer the files. I got photomgrpro (I'm sure there are others) to do this although normally I'm happy with what the iPad does. This is one of those "apple knows best" things which does annoy me coming from the PC world.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so excuse all the errors :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The latest iPad fits your needs perfectly. I apologize for being an "Apple" guy, but I think they make fine products.

+1 the new iPad is perfect for showing images. I have an iPad2 and it works very well too (if you're looking to save a little cash).

Mestre

I have a iPad 2 but I faced the same decision. Athough the retina display on the 3 is great, it can reduce the autonomy a bit so I decided for the previous model. I bought the 16gb wifi only since I use an iPhone to have full access online.

As I switched from a PC to a Mac last year, I didn't find any difference between pics on the iPad and the Mac, as the latter has a 21" display.