Test thread, photobucket vs flickr

eurotrash

Just a test thread to see what the IQ of both are before making the switch for real.

PHOTOBUCKET:
Church.jpg

FLICKR:

Church in DC by stupidphotoguy1, on Flickr

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
When using flickr, which I just started doing since coming back, I open the pic in flickr and then hit the share thing and then set it at the largest setting and then copy and paste it here...I think I am going to try something in this thread too just to see what happens...

eurotrash

See the colour difference? Especially apparent in the second photo.
Dang, I was hoping to get either no comments or at least comments AFTER I uploaded. You guys are WAY too fast, go out and shoot!! :p

westmill

Banned
That photobucket one looks realy sharp. It drives me mad trying get pics sharp downloading off my PC onto here.
I seem to lose a shed load of detail or they look oversharpned if I try to compensate.
Maybe this could be the anwer !!!!!

eurotrash

Jeff, I'm not mad atcha :)
I like both, though FLICKR seems to retain all the nuances a LOT better. Darks look dark, and fade just right into the lighter portions JUST the way lightroom made them look when I exported. Photobucket seems to compress them too much and it loses this finer detail. Colour looks very nice on Flickr as well, something photobucket seems to lose detail in as well. Hmm..

Westmill, This was a VERY sharp photo that I uploaded, possibly one of the sharpest I've taken. That definitely helped a lot. But, check out the window on that church right under the vent at the top in between the two "circles". See the difference? It totally looks sharper to me on Flickr, do you see it differently? :confused:
Also note that I switched the placement up on the second set of photos. The top one is Flickr and the bottom is Photobucket.

Even on my browser, flickr comes out the real winner :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsStuTy2GLI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by a moderator:

westmill

Banned
Yes ! I kind of see more defined detail in the first pic. Im looking at that blue bin thing with the writing on.
Virtualy all my pics are that sharp until I download on here. Then they look like i took them on a compact at times lol.
Yet i see pics that are biting sharp on here. Im just wondering if this is how they do it. :)

color me dumb but I see the term "IQ" used a lot here and I do not know what it means. Been away from photography for a long time and having to learn the new lingo.

Never mind. I figured it out. IQ stands for Image Quality.
redface-new.png

Last edited:

eurotrash

OK, here is one more. I won't tell you which is which, we can all guess which one is which. Later on tonight, I'll reveal which one is which.

ONE:

TWO:

THREE:
CvsBuilding.jpg

By the way, I shot this from a moving vehicle going about 35mph! :) I dunno, I was pretty proud..

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
OK I'm back had to run to Tulsa and eat with the people I live with...hahaha Now on with the experiment...I am going to upload one from the bucket, one from flickr, and one from my desktop using the Nikonites uploader...they'll be in that order...

Andrew-2.jpg

Andrew.JPG

Eye-level

Banned
All three are different and my photobucket upload is not as good as the others IMO...

How are you uploading from your all's bucket? I'm just grabbing the img tag and pasting it here...how come it is so different?

IMO the Nikonites uploader IQ smokes both the bucket and Flickr...note how it is much clearer and defined and also it is brightened up a bit... :)

I just noticed both 2 and 3 are distorted! hummmm

Post #11 EuroT your 3rd snap is the best one IMO...

Last edited:

eurotrash

Gotta say, looking at his left hand kind of scrunched up, the second shot definitely has more detail. Overall the second is my favorite as it has lots of depth in colour the other two seemingly lack.

eurotrash

I could tell which shots looked better to me, even on my cellular, West! And now, I will reveal the shots I posted and their respective site links. Drum roll please....

One: FLICKR
Two: SMUG
THREE: PHOTOBUCKET

Which one was your favorite? Mine was again, Flickr. Seems like we have a winner, at least in MHO, on my computer screen.

And yes, I simply copy/paste the image link and paste it in my browser. I guess some photo sites definitely have an advantage in regards to the way they compress images and discard or keep certain aspects of the original upload. NOW. I'll upload a TIF of a shot and a JPG on FLICKR and we shall see if this is a JPG anomaly or truth in compression algorithms..

Last edited:

eurotrash

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The first jpg looked pretty good to me. I like the saturation. I have been using both but I use the photobucket just for a quick image share. With flickr, the size and resolution are kinda limited unless you get the pro version.

I've been too cheap to pay for pro at the moment. :D

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
OK...so here is another deal I resized one before putting on it on flickr to see if it corrects the distortion...my flickr pro account has been expired for a long time and I have a credit card and a debit card but I'm a tight wad! LOL

Lot more noise in the first one it looks like...

Interesting how sometimes they will appear distorted and other times not...

andyresize.JPG

Last edited: