I suck at this camera

firefreegurl

:(

im so sorry i know 1st world problems, my camera doesnt have an auto function. i got this as a gift. but really? what if im soo new i cant for the life of me figure this out, what is the easiest way to just turn this into a point and shoot?

pedroj

Hi, Welcome and have fun...Don't let it upset you...Put it in Aperture Priority mode and choose an aperture between F5.6 to F8 it's not auto but semi auto...With this mode you set the aperture and the camera chooses a shutter speed to suit..

Take some time to read your manual

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

im so sorry i know 1st world problems, my camera doesnt have an auto function. i got this as a gift. but really? what if im soo new i cant for the life of me figure this out, what is the easiest way to just turn this into a point and shoot?

Welcome to Nikonites firefreefurl,

Nice gift that you got there. ;)

Isn't there a quick reference guide that came with the camera? This is usually a good place to start (make sure you have the camera in hand). As Pedroj has said, Aperture priority or Shutter speed priority or Program mode should get you nice results.
Have fun and share your pics and questions.

I dont advise the use of Aperture mode as your regular setting because it will push your shutter speed up too much or down too much in may circumstaces and you will need to fiddle with those sodding comand dials all the time ( mine are taped up)...Use P as suggested and move to A if you need little depth of field ( f 2.8 end) or go to f 11 16 for greater depth of field . The use of A needs a concious decision about what you are trying to acheive. Of the 60,000 I shoot in a year 99% will be on P

Carolina Photo Guy

Send it to me and I will send a Nikon point and shoot right back to ya!!!!! :)

Seriously, just give it a little time. Every long trip starts out with a small step.

But the trade offer still stands!

westmill

Banned
Set your camera to high quality JPG in your menu and set program mode !
This will give you a very high quality point and shoot.
You can learn as much as you like at your own leasure while still being able to take pics.
In program mode.... you simply need to zoom and frame your shot.... half press on the shutter button to focus.... continue to press shutter button
to take the picture. Its that simple :)

jcottone45

Send it to me and I will send a Nikon point and shoot right back to ya!!!!! :)

Seriously, just give it a little time. Every long trip starts out with a small step.

But the trade offer still stands!
Now Pete, be nice to the newbie, at least send 2 point & shoot models & while your being nice I'll take one too!!!

Hi, my name is Joe, & I do believe the gang here gave you some very good advise, take it one day at a time,practice makes perfect & above all have fun while your taking pictures with your new camera.
Hey I am still trying that practice makes perfect routine but at least I am enjoying the learning curve, I never realized that this art form is so enjoyable.!!

Joe ( the half assed photographer)

Last edited by a moderator:

eurotrash

I'll trade you a D5100 with a kit lens and an auto feature plus a little cash. Seriously. I want an upgrade, seems like you for the moment, need a downgrade. Perfect solution, and you can make some extra money for free!

Last edited:

stmv

holy cow, that is a serious camera as a gift,, sell it on ebay for 3400 dollars, buy a 3200, for 800 dollars, and go on a great vacation!, but seriously, if you really want photography to be your hobby, joing a club, and lessons, setting this camera in P mode is like putting an automatic on a Ducatti.