Anyone considering the new Dx 18-300?

Phillydog1958

That's allot of range!

I like the 18-300mm's one-size-fits-all approach, but I already have a FX 70-300mm, so the FX 24-85mm would be the more appropriate of a fit for me. If I didn't have the 70-300mm and wasn't considering the D600, I'd be interested in one lens for all focal lengths.

Last edited:

westmill

Banned
While there is no question about superzooms being exceedingly handy and convienient Im still not sold on them due to
the understandble loss of performance from such a wide ranging zoom. A few years ago I would never have dreamed of buying any zoom.
They have come a long way for sure. I shall be sticking to high IQ less ambitous zooms for now

To be quite honest, I feel that something with that range is full of compromises.
I think I'll stick to my 70-200mm f/2.8, my 35-70mm f/2.8, which will get the photos I need.

Red Rover

To be quite honest, I feel that something with that range is full of compromises.
I think I'll stick to my 70-200mm f/2.8, my 35-70mm f/2.8, which will get the photos I need.

Nice lenses, but not everyone can afford them. You also don't have the 200-300 range covered. As Fro says in this review, this may not be a pro lens, but it does what it is supposed to. I think it is worth a chance and I am going to give it a try until I can afford your lenses AND a 300 f/4.

Nikon 18-300mm VR Lens Review - YouTube

Vapiano

Being a newbie, I just swapped out my 18-200mm for this lens. At this point I am very happy with the results I am getting.

Eye-level

Banned
Here is the long end of the 18-300...photo by Ted made with a D7000.

And here is the short end...I was letting all those people in front of me get sacrificed first. :)

Eye-level

Banned
The thing I noticed right away about it is how it breaks down to a relatively small size. But man when you zoom it out all the way that sucker is a mile long. I would say it would be perfect for walking around doing nature stuff.

grandpaw

How is the weight, is it cumbersome? I have the 18-200 and it's heavy around the neck and the 18-300 weighs more.

If your camera and lens are causing you neck pain or problems, I would like to suggest that you check out a shoulder strap to replace the neck strap that came with your camera. A shoulder strap such as a "Carry Speed Strap" or "Black Rapid Strap" goes over the shoulder and across your chest with the camera at your side. There are many benefits to this style of strap so you might want to check them out on Google. Jeff

Geoffc

Here is the long end of the 18-300...photo by Ted made with a D7000.

And here is the short end...I was letting all those people in front of me get sacrificed first. :)

I'm sorry but to me those images look softer than I would find acceptable and that was looking at the size version on Flickr using a HD iPad.

Mrmover

If your camera and lens are causing you neck pain or problems, I would like to suggest that you check out a shoulder strap to replace the neck strap that came with your camera. A shoulder strap such as a "Carry Speed Strap" or "Black Rapid Strap" goes over the shoulder and across your chest with the camera at your side. There are many benefits to this style of strap so you might want to check them out on Google. Jeff

Thanks, had looked at the Black Rapid and didn't like the way it connected to the battery pack. The Carry Speed looks like a solid connection I think I'll get one.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: